Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Me Talk Pretty One Day - learning the Thai tongue

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

So it seems there'd be worse places to knock about than Thailand for a year or so, and I'm pretty much done with hellish visa runs, so I'm weighing up options.

A 1 year education visa looks like the go for me - not too expensive (1900thb per 90 day extension) and the tuition itself comes to about 25k thb. I'm looking at the Walen school right now

Does anyone have any experience with the Walen institution?

OR any advice in general about studying Thai in Thailand?

Cheers

#1 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 10:56

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Cranky,

I don't have experience with the Walen school, but at least for comparison check out the AUA Language Center website. Both of their Thai language programs look pretty similar, so it may come down to price or location or which one gets you the visa with the least effort.

I did an extended stint with the AUA Language Center years ago. The real advantage was that it was co-located with their english training center, so I got to meet lots of people and practice speaking on breaks. Great staff too.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes. Give my regards to David Sidaris. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 11:16

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Thanks Exacto,

I liked the idea of studying with Walen because you can chop and change the schools you study at (they have schools in various parts of TL) - meaning I could pick up and live in Phuket, Bangkok or Chiang Mai and still meet the study/visa obligations.

I'll check out AUA for a price comparison though.

#3 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 12:03

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

http://www.learnthaiinchiangmai.com/visaconcerns.htm

Looks like AUA charges 25 000 baht a year too.

They also have schools all over the country... but not in Phuket :(

School looks a lot more "official" and established than Walen, but, hmmm...

#4 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 12:57

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

"Please be aware that you must pay the extra processing fee (2,000 Baht) to AUA every time you extend the visa, plus 1,900 Baht as the visa extension fee at the Immigration Office"

Ummm, ok, so there's a big difference right off the bat - an extra 2000 thb every 3 months. Better check if Walen require that also.

#5 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 13:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai Massage - more than just tongue twisting ... By AjarnPasa on 20 Jun 2010 2 5535 23 Jun 2010
Learning Thai with Virtual Thai Keyboard Online ... By Nopadol on 16 May 2012 1 1726 11 Jul 2012
Learning Thai ... By DannyJ on 2 May 2006 3 1699 2 May 2006
Learning basic Thai ... By karibou on 1 Apr 2013 13 1786 4 Apr 2013