Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Central but off to the side, Hotel in Bangkok?

• bumbly

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2011

Hi All! I know this question is probably asked a handful of times in a week, I searched previous postings and Googled all morning and yet, I sit here confused (good thing Im not a travel agent for a living)

Where can me and my friend stay in Bangkok where we are central enough to everything; shopping and the heart of the city, yet off to the side to avoid the REAL craziness and have a little quiet at night? I'd like something clean, safe, friendly and hopefully no more than $50 Can/night. We want to book our first 3 nights there when we land and airport shuttle would be ideal, but not imparative. My travel agent is booking for me but I wanted the opinions of all you experienced Thailand Gurus, as she seems to only be interested in dollar signs, go figure!

After the first 3 nights, we are jumping into the Hostels but we wanted a safe landing for the first couple sleeps.
    Thank-you!
    -Seanna

#1 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 02:31

• Advertisement

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

yeah, i wouldn't mind knowing some info regarding that as well, stay some-where decent for the 1st few days and low budget it the rest of the way... be a 1st for me to go and visit SE asia.

but i think $50 canadian is more than enough to get you something decent right??

what area of canada you from?

#2 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 03:07

• bumbly

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2011

Hi Ryder,

It's my first time too, I see a lot of options on the internet but there's too many conflicting reviews and the really good ones are out of my budget or too far away from everything. I would hope $50/night is enough, from what I gather alot of the best hotels arent even listed online and once you get there, there is plenty more options.

I'm from the Coast of BC.
    Are you travelling alone? Where are you from? When do you fly out?
    -Seanna

#3 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 05:34

• alenoles31

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2011

I have this same question! I will be there beginning of April.

#4 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 05:39

• bumbly

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2011

K Guys,

I havent booked it yet but I found this one, it's a little more out of the way but apparently it is really close to the train and quick and easy to get into town. Still has the "backpack" feel, not too ritzy and looks like it has some really good reviews and free airport pick-up. I'm still debating if it's too far away from everything but it doesnt seem to be, whatcha think?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1597891-Reviews-Bangkok_Loft_Inn-Bangkok.html

#5 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 06:23

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hi Seanna,

i'm from toronto, and will be travelling solo to SE asia, have already met some contacts from here so far. but i'm still figuring out some last minute plans right now, waiting for some answers from my family/relatives in hong kong 1st of when i should be there. Have to take care of a few things in HK 1st.

My plan is to fly out to HK the 2nd or last week of march, i know, it's cutting it short as of now, since i haven't booked my flight or leave of absent from work yet. So i'm hoping to get that over with soon. If i'm there before march, 2nd plan is to head off to SE Asia early to mid april and go from there. my time-line in SE asia is from april to end of july... but alot of little things have come up now, so i'm trying to figure what i'm gonna do since this is a big trip for me to do as a 1st timer, but hopefully soon.....

Edwin

#6 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 07:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm not familiar with the Loft Inn mentioned by bumbly, but it is on the far side of the river, well out of the way from, well, most of Bangkok (though that may appeal to many!) It is on the skytrain, so that helps, but for a first time visitor, I'd be going for something closer to the heart of things.

I'm just back from ten days looking at hotels and guesthouses in and around the Khao San road area, and while I wouldn't suggest staying too close to it, for $50 a night you'll get a pretty smart joint within say 10 minutes walk of there.

My top pics would be:
    Phra Nakorn Norn Len
    Sam Sen Sam Guesthouse
    Baan Chantra (closer to $70)

I stayed at a cheaper place (this is where I always stay on this side of town), Thai Cozy which is 700B -- the rooms are just ok, but very very friendly -- even if the money counting guy behind the desk looks like Charles Sobraj! Whenever I'm in the Khao San area, this is where I stay.

There's also a bunch of newish "mini hotels" like Rikka Inn and Sleep Withinn that have rooms at around the 1,000B mark (with pool) and are within spitting distance of KSR.

We're in the middle of a major update of our Bangkok coverage, so more stuff coming soon. If you've specific questions I'll try to answer as best I can.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 10:17

• bumbly

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2011

thanks somtam!

#8 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 12:25

• chocgirl

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

About 15 mins walk away from Khao San, but close to Wat Pho and Grand Palace, is Feung Nakorn Balcony. It is just around the corner from the top end of Charun Krung and Saranrom Park, for those that know Bangkok, and there is a nice temple right across the street. The area is quiet at night and well connected with public transport (buses and river boat) during the day. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

I also stayed at Bhiman Inn at Phrasumen, just 5 mins away from Khao San and very near the river boat pier, and though the decor was a bit too prison cell-like for my taste, reception staff were very good and quickly had something that was broken in my room fixed. Both are usually (well) below $50, if booked through sites like Agoda.

#9 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 06:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Name change: Bamboo Central Stars Hotel in Hanoi to Indochina Queen Hotel ... By hellomax on 4 Jan 2010 0 1891 4 Jan 2010