Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Experience for Wildlife

• RachelW

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

Hi there

I was looking to go back to Thailand in Sept / Oct and wanted to spend some time with local wildlife.

What is everybody's best experience / recommendation? and which are the ones that really are genuine conservation programmes and in the animals best interests. I am sure most of them will not be 'wildlife' per say anyway as they will be in reserves.

I have the following ideas in mind
    Elephant Nature Park Lampang - Mahout training
    Tree top Asia (Gibbon safari)- not strictly wildlife but interesting all the same, I think it may be the less successful relative of the one in Laos
    Gibbon Rehab centre in Phuket

#1 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 04:26

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

TreeTopAsia (The Gibbon Experience) has almost nothing to do with Gibbons or wildlife for that matter. It's zip-lining through the forest and loads of fun but aside from a couple of captive Gibbons in cages it's not very Gibbony.

Better to consider the Elephant Nature Park in Mae Taeng
    http://www.elephantnaturefoundationonline.com
    or
    the Elephant Conservation Center near Lampang
    http://www.changthai.com

#2 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 13:50

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

http://thailandwildelephanttrekking.com/

right north of thailand. loved it a lot! got to get to nong khai first and then about a 3 hours drive by car to get there. definitely amazing!

#3 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 19:48

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Saw loads in Khao Yai National Park.

#4 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 02:14

• khawaja

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2011

Khao Yai had very little wildlife when i went in April. One of the worst national parks I've been too. Very disappointed. Apparently you need to go Dec/Jan to have a higher chance of seeing wild Elephants.

Safari World is your best bet on seeing animals.

#5 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 07:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

As for national parks I'd rank Khao Sok and Kaeng Krachan tops for seeing wildlife. But as usual it's a matter of good luck and very helpful to go with a local guide and start trekking early in the morning (crack of dawn even).

#6 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 19:41

• RachelW

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

Thanks guys. Never heard of safari world before is it better than chiang mai zoo?!

As for NP's I have always been s bit wary of getting to them ESP early in the morning, accommodation etc but guest houses are good for that kind of thing..And it will be worth it!!

#7 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 20:45

• RachelW

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

Theres prob a reason I've never heard of safari world... It has an orang-utan boxing show so it shouldn't be promoted here.

#8 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 20:52

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Rachel, I should expand a bit on my experience in Khao Yai NP because you are correct ... transport can be a bit of an issue if you don't have your own.

I was camping with my neighbours and we had a pick-up truck with a roll-bar and flood lamps which allowed us to go out at night. In the evenings we saw elephants, lots of deer, and many, many eyes of ??? During the daytime we saw macaques, hornbills, snakes and water monitors, and plenty of each.

#9 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 02:01

• Kpawsuh

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

A friend of mine recommends and I have looked into elephantstay.com
    Looks pretty cool. Touch expensive but I think we will do it anyway as it just is too cool. Anyone have info on them? I've only heard good things so far.

#10 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 05:36

• Advertisement

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Thailand is the home of many nationalparks. Khao Yai national park is a wonderful park to visit as it hasa great natural beauty and variety of wildlife to watch. You can seeelephants, tigers, monkeys, crocodiles, bears, deers, snakes etc. Thewalk through the jungle is really enjoyable and this park is not toofar from Bangkok and worth visiting.

#11 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 18:33

• laurenladky

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2011

Hi!

Though Kanchanaburi doesn't have the best park - the Elephant Conservation Network is worth checking out. Not a tourist organization so if you have a genuine interest in doing some volunteering - contact them.

www.ecn-thailand.org/

Alternatively, head to the deep south of thailand to Khao Sok. There are also some parks further South that I have yet to visit - but be sure to check how the political situation is going.

#12 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 17:03

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

If you are a SCUBA diver then the Similans National Park is amazing. Both Manta rays and Whale sharks being seen regularly at the moment. If you are not, then qualifications on liveaboards are extremely economical.

For Gibbons, i have not heard one single complaint about the Gibbon Experience in Laos. Only amazing things. Maybe try there but it can be costly as with the liveaboard i have mentioned.

#13 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 14:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"For Gibbons, i have not heard one single complaint about the Gibbon Experience in Laos. Only amazing things. Maybe try there but it can be costly as with the liveaboard i have mentioned."

I've heard some complaints about the accomodation with the Gibbon experience, but I kind of thought when I read it "what do you expect from a tree house?"

#14 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 14:11

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

I've heard some complaints about the accomodation with the Gibbon experience, but I kind of thought when I read it "what do you expect from a tree house?"

No elevator?

#15 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 14:17

• Tigress

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2013

Theres a great site for wildlife in Thailand's National Parks at http://www.wildlifethailand.com that is packed with info, well worth a look if you want to see wildlife. They even told me the scientific name of a fungus I found. They have seen wild tigers!

#16 Posted: 31/12/2013 - 17:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Wildlife Experience in Cambodia ... By wildlifelover on 13 May 2012 18 4434 18 Jun 2012