Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Arriving 5:30am in Bangkok

• zilpah

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011

Hi,

I'm taking the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on the 10th...arriving 5:30am. All the later trains were booked. What's it going to be like to arrive that early? Will I be able to check into a guesthouse? Also, what's the best/cheapest way to get myself from the train station to wherever I'm staying? (Also, any current suggestions of good budget places?)

Thanks for any info!

#1 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 10:12

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

That 14:50 2nd class sleeper train is good because you get the first few hours in daylight along the most scenic part of the journey. And it's usually late arriving so don't count on being there at 5:30am. Anyway there will always be plenty of transport options and Thailand wakes up early. The BTS (subway and Skytrain) begin operating at 6am
    http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp
    Or just grab a tuk tuk to your hotel/guesthouse (although I prefer metered taxi). Did you have a location in mind? Khao San? Sukhumvit? Silom? Siam?

#2 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 13:32

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Many Guesthouses won't let you check in until after 12 if they are full -- even if you've made a reservation. After all, they have to wait for the other guest to leave before they can let you in. However, they will often keep an eye on your bag if you want to wander around. That's what I did at Shambara Boutique Hostel. They charge to watch your bag if you leave it with them after you check-out, but gave me no trouble to watch it when I arrived around 4:30/5am and wanted to set my bag down.

#3 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 13:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.