Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Flying into Bangkok at night

• kfroh

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2011

Hey folks!

This forum has been very informative and helpful for my upcoming 9 week stay in SE Asia. I just realized today that my flight gets into Bangkok pretty late on April 8th (about 11:10pm local time). Will this be an issue getting into a hostel or finding transportation from the airport?
    Also any advice for a rookie traveler is very welcome. Plans for my 9 week stay are very open. My goal is to get out of my comfort zone by experiencing the foreign culture and meeting a bunch of people doing the same.

Kel

#1 Posted: 11/3/2011 - 04:15

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Coming into Bangkok at that time of the night won't be a problem. Less traffic, and it will be a lot cooler than in the daytime.

Recommend that you find a place and book it in advance so that they know you're coming, then take a cab from the airport to your guest house or hotel. Book something online or via Skype or something like that, and make sure you have the address when you arrive so you can give it to your cab driver.

Also recommend that you book a room with air-conditioning. It's gonna be hot.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2011 - 04:33

• kfroh

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2011

Thanks a bunch, I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I'll look into a place with A/C

#3 Posted: 11/3/2011 - 04:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Just a little heads-up, that weekend a lot of Thais will start to move out (transport busy) for the upcoming Songkran (Thai new year) festival and the backpacker ghettos like Khao San Road will start to go crazy with water-throwing and partying. If I were you I'd promptly head either to a beach destination (to avoid it) or up to Chiang Mai (to hit the festival full-on).

Anyway, arriving late PM to Bangkok is actually a blessing - way less traffic and many guesthouses have 24-hour reception.

#4 Posted: 11/3/2011 - 17:36

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

hello kel

i arrive about the same time as u on the 9th april , i normaly book into a cheap hotel about 10-15 minutes from the airport so i can relax for one night before moving into another area
    the hotel is called
    sananwan palace , it has a 24 hour reception , they can pick u up as well , but it is cheaper just to get a metered taxi . they also have a swimming pool , always a bonus in the april heat

http://www.bangpli.com/

danny

#5 Posted: 11/3/2011 - 18:42

• kfroh

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2011

Thanks guys, I've been looking for a place like that that I can spend the night and then hit up the festivities the next day.

#6 Posted: 12/3/2011 - 00:24

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

kel , if u are getting a taxi their make sure u print the map off the webb site and also have their telephone number , i have yet to find a taxi driver who knows where this guest house is,
    let me know if u are still there on the 9th , if u want share a beer or 2

danny

#7 Posted: 12/3/2011 - 17:33

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Millions of tourists arrive late at Suvarnabhumi. No problem getting a meter taxi to your hotel in the city area. I wouldn't bother with any hotel that claims to be near the airport. Just take the taxi to your hostel or hotel and get the job done all at one time.

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/52

The Sukhumvit Road area is still lively past 2 a.m. I find it easier to adjust to Thai time by not sleeping in too late the next day after a late arrival. My opinion, the sooner you put your body on Thai time the easier it is to overcome the jet lag.

If you need hotels or hostel recommendations mention your price range. Here is a couple hostels you can check out. From these two places you can walk to restaurants, other cheap hotels, malls, street vendors, nightlife and the Skytrain too!

http://www.soi1guesthouse.com/

http://www.suk11.com/2008/index.html

Good luck.

#8 Posted: 13/3/2011 - 10:42

• bw107

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2011
    Location United States

Hey everyone! My name is Burton I just turned 30/m and live in Las Vegas, NV. I will be flying into BKK on April 12th SOLO and would love to meet and travel with some other people. I don't really have any plans or routes mapped out so I would be down for whatever and just plan on going with the flow. Please e-mail me if you would like to meet up around this time. Also if you have facebook please add me as a friend my user name is (Burton Wheeler)-Las Vegas, NV USA or e-mail me at thaiburt@hotmail.com

One Love,
    Burton

#9 Posted: 15/3/2011 - 00:19

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

hi Burton

my plans is to leave bkk before songkran starts so i will just miss u , but u should start a new thread in the travel companion section , u might have more luck there
    have a great trip

danny

#10 Posted: 15/3/2011 - 02:35

• Advertisement

• kfroh

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2011

Thanks everyone for the advice. It looks like I'm going to stay somewhere close to khao san road, I want to be able to meet some people quickly and be close to shopping to buy things for the two months. Has anyone heard of the NapPark hostel? Seems like it has been getting good reviews.
    As it stands, it looks like I'll be arriving late on April 8th, but plans might change slightly as my connecting flight is currently in Tokyo.

Kel

#11 Posted: 16/3/2011 - 00:18

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good idea to head straight into town. There's really not much point in staying somewhere near the airport when another 15-20 minutes in a cab will take you into the area where you really want to be.

There are hundreds (!) of guest houses in the area you're looking at going to. A good friend of mine stayed at NapPark a few months back and loved it. She'd never been to Asia before, so it provided for a soft landing. It's in a decent spot, too. If you're not thrilled with it, it's not going to be hard to find another place.

#12 Posted: 16/3/2011 - 01:16

• bw107

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2011
    Location United States

Hey Kel! I have a friend that teaches in BKK & he recommended Lud-b Hostel on Silom Rd. (Google Lud-b Hostel on Silom Rd) looks real nice! I am booked there from April 12th-15th and then he is going to take me down to Patayya since he has a few days off, but then I will be traveling on my own from that point on. You are more than welcome to come with! Do you have facebook? If so look me up and add me as a friend. my user name is (Burton Wheeler) in Las Vegas, NV USA. My connecting flight is in Narita Japan and I'm praying it doesn't get screwed up. Well hope to hear from you soon. You can also e-mail me at (thaiburt@hotmail.com)

Burton

#13 Posted: 16/3/2011 - 01:17

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

One more thing ... you'd be able to get a private room with a bathroom for the prices NapPark charges for a dorm room. When you've got jet-lag and your sleeping patterns are off, the last thing you may want to deal with is a roommate or two. Just a thought.

#14 Posted: 16/3/2011 - 01:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flying into HCMC late at night ... By Caripito on 6 Sep 2009 3 2322 30 Nov 2009
Flying to Hanoi and taking night train to Lao Cai on the same day. ... By ngg18 on 30 Nov 2009 3 2307 2 Dec 2009
Flying into Phuket late at night. Where to stay? What is our best option? ... By mchrysler on 5 Mar 2010 10 6387 10 Mar 2010