Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Andaman Snorkeling away from Phi Phi/Phuket?

• MichelleMood

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2007

I am having the damnedest time getting information on snorkeling in the Andaman Sea away from the biggest tourist areas (Phuket; Phi Phi). I really really need islands that have snorkeling right on the beaches NOT JUST snokeling via boat trips. Is it TRUE that Racha Yai and Ko Yao Yai and Lanta Yai have off-shore snorkeling that we can just swim to from the beach?
    This is crucial since it's the only easy way to snorkel while caring for our kids -- one parent takes off and snorkels for 30-60 minutes, and then we trade off. We find this in the Caribbean, but I've been shocked at how little snorkeling info there is on Thai islands (even in the Lonely Planet Thailand and Thailand Beaches and Islands). It's all dive dive dive!
    Any info much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 2/1/2007 - 13:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can head further south to the islands out from Trang (Ko Muk, Ko Ngai, Ko Kradan and others) all of which have snorkelling off the beach -- Ko Ngai in particular is a popular spot for families with kids.

Lanta Yai has poor snorkelling, but the beaches are long and waters very calm -- hence its popularity.

#2 Posted: 2/1/2007 - 13:50

• MichelleMood

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2007

Thanks! What do you know about snorkeling on Yao Yai? It sounds good (partic. Yao Yai Island Resort). We need A/C due to mosquito issues (yeah, Thailand's safe re: malaria, but that's our advice here in China), and so far I can't find it on those Trang islands w/o paying too much (we would like to be in the US$50 range at most, partly b/c we don't want to do that upscale thing, not just to save $.)
    And what about Racha Yai? My hubby wants to do that. He likes to hop around alot, so I wonder what he'll say to the advice to stick to one island. Krabi sounds so COOL, but maybe Trang has it all ??
    -MM

#3 Posted: 2/1/2007 - 20:46

• Laura_B

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2006
    Total reviews: 12

Hi, I'm back in Thailand in Feb this year. I plan to stay in Khao Lak for a while, apparently it is a good base to do snorkeling in the Similan Islands & Koh Surin. These islands are supposed to be one of the best areas for snorkeling and diving in Thailand. I know you can do trips, but I think I've read you can also just snorkel from the beach, correct me if I'm wrong though.

#4 Posted: 4/1/2007 - 22:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Andaman Islands - snorkeling in December - any advice ... By Surefolly on 4 Aug 2014 0 324 4 Aug 2014