Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand 2012 12 months hopefully

• Stuartm1

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

I am currently planning to go to Thailand in April 2012 for hopefully 12 months at least with a friend I'm going with a budget of 8k will that last? I'm planning to go to chang mai for 2-3 weeks then koh Tao and koh samui maybe a month each then go anywhere from there any suggestions? I plan to chillax and see Thailand for what it is. I'm from the uk and I want to know what the longest visa I can apply for and how many times I can renew it?

Does anyone know any good reasonable priced beach huts to live in on the islands?

Has anyone got any good route suggestions?

Hope for speedy replies

Stuart

#1 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 21:22

• Advertisement

• roff

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Something to consider but I wouldn't want to go there for 12 months and still miss out on Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos..

#2 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 23:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Get in touch with CrankyCarrot on this forum. He's been hanging out in Thailand for the last year or so, mostly in Phuket. I'm sure he could help with ideas, cost of living, etc.

#3 Posted: 18/3/2011 - 05:00

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

8k? In pounds? That is about $13,000 US. You best be prepared for cheap living. Thailand ain't as cheap as you think. Especially when you factor in going out drinking/taking buses for longer travel, or planning on the areas outside of Thailand.

#4 Posted: 19/3/2011 - 05:28

• Stuartm1

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

How much money do you think I need then? I plan to spend moderately and still enjoy myself, where s the cheapest country you have been?

#5 Posted: 20/3/2011 - 14:56

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Sorry, but was unavailable. I think with that amount of money if you shorten your trip by a 3 months you will feel more comfortable. Or add 4-5 grand $US. I know people who travel with way less and come to sites such as this and brag about it but you will realize the difference when you are in country. Travel insurance? Accidents can't be planned. Meeting people or someone you really like can't be planned. It screws all budgets. There are only so many times you can wear your clothes without washing them. I watch (and smell) people who claim to do it by hand themselves. Travel? It sucks when your budget precludes you from moving on with a cool friend or group. Food? At some point everyone wants something familiar. Not thinking? You think things are super cheap at first and you overspend and have to re-budget. I meet so many people hanging on the last part of their trip...broke. I also meet people who do almost nothing because they want to live like "locals". So unrealistic for the average western dweller without some mental/emotional sacrifice? Westerners who really live in SE Asia can tell you about the adjustments they made. You are on a trip. They are on life. Are you there for fun or suffering to make yourself a better person?
    There are many threads about budget here and on Lp thorn tree. Look at em. You have time right?

#6 Posted: 28/3/2011 - 01:43

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Quick math, GBP8000x48/12=32k baht per month
    That's a liveable budget but any lashing out will blow it (scuba diving, elephant washing, cocaine habit, etc). I've lived in Chiang Mai for 7-8 years and that's reasonable cost of living without the above indulgences. Monthly rental 10k, food&drink 10k, transport/activites/shopping 10k. You should be OK as long as you don't incur some critical illness/injury but should have travel insurance for that anyway.

Main issue then is your visa. My advice is apply to the Thai consulate in Hull, where they issue 3x entry tourist visas, and it's free of charge until the end of March (3 more days!)

This gets you three - 60 day entries each of which can be extended 30 more days. In other words you'll be sorted for a total of nine months including a few border hops and trips to immigration for the extensions (1900b each) and could also visit Cambodia, Laos etc. and get another tourist visa in Phnom Penh or Vientiane. You'll want to pay close attention to your visa situation anyway and be sure not to overstay your current entry at any time.

#7 Posted: 28/3/2011 - 10:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The one way you could do this on that budget without feeling too strained is to pick a place and live there - i.e. not travel around. Because you can easily rent a one room apartment with wifi in just about any Thai city for 3,000 baht a month (plus utilities). My son is studying at Khon Kaen university, he's German, and he lives on 12,000 baht a month. But he has to scrimp and save to do it. But he wants to study, I'm funding it, so his end of the sacrifice is to live cheap. So you could do it, but you would usually have to have a three month lease minimum, which means no travling about, or at least very little.

#8 Posted: 28/3/2011 - 19:05

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

My second trip to Thailand in 2003 I got 73 baht to the Pound. That figure is now 48 - or probably less than that after the banks have robbed you. That makes a huge difference to your spenders. It makes a cheap destination ...well, less cheap. Still cheap by Western standards, but not like it was.

£8000 in 12 months ? I guess its possible, but do you really want to live that cheaply ? Will that mean that the trip isn't as enjoyable as you would really like it. Only you can really answer that question. But i rather agree with Thomas - just go for less time on a budget that allows you to do things - and then go home.

#9 Posted: 28/3/2011 - 20:17

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Well OP? What are your thoughts?

#10 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 07:08

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.