Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai Visa Advice

• mc600

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011

Hi

I am flying to thailand in April and could do with some advice about Visa's, I am planning on staying in Thailand for 6-7 weeks. The closest place I will be to a border will be chang rai but im not sure if there are any border crossings near there and I will still need to be there for another 3 weeks or so. Should I get a tourist visa? also is it possible to buy these in thailand because I may struggle to get to london before i leave

#1 Posted: 20/3/2011 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Thai tourist visas are free at the moment! You can apply by post, just visit this visa http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/ and print out a form, then send it and your passport by special delivery to the address and include a self-addressed special delivery envelope that they can send it back to you in. The only thing is you need to get it processed BEFORE march 31st if you want it to be free rather than £28, so hopefully you'll get this and act on it before then. Of course, you can do the bordercrossing option once in Thailand, but it will be much cheaper and much less hassle to just get your free visa now and then have 60 days without having to worry about it. The visa will be valid for first use for 90 days after it is issued so its perfect for you!
    Hope this helps!

#2 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 05:33

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hi rledex1990, maybe you can help answer my question as well.

i'll be planning to fly to thailand next month, leaving from hong kong, be using a canadian citizen-ship. but will be purchasing a one way ticket. i'm hearing that when i land in thailand, that they'll want to see a ticket out of thailand. is that true? my plan is to stay under the 30 day visa and travel else-where in the region of SE asia.

that link you posted above, thats for a free extended visa after the 30 day period? cause when you land by plane, you auto-matically get a 30 day visa for free as well?

thanks

#3 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 07:00

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

If you arrive without a visa than you will need to show proof of onward travel. Most airlines will check this and won't even let you board if you don't have some sort of air ticket out.

If you get a thai tourist visa from the thai consulate in HK than this will solve your prblem. As stated above they are free until the end of the month.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 08:34

• Kennethlars-
    en

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2011

I just landed in bankok and i didnt have a onward flight or nothing and i didnt have a tourist visa either. it was no problem. but the airline company asked me if i had anything but i called the airline company to check that out before i booked

#5 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 10:02

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

keenethlarsen- who did you book your flight with?

alot of mixed reviews about this issue, though i won't have a return ticket from thailand back to hong kong, i'll have my return ticket back to canada from hong kong though, probably about 4 months later when i itially land in HK...

would i be able to get a free thai tourist visa here in Toronto as well?

thanks

#6 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 11:06

• mc600

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011

hi thanks for the advice, my understanding is that a tourist visa is 30 days initially and then you can extend it for another 30 days in Thailand for a small fee is this correct? cheers

#7 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 18:57

• roff

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Just sent off my application for a free 60 day one entry tourist visa using the link higher up in this thread. Filled in all the forms and put down the charge as just £10 for return postage.. so hopefully they realise its still free and waive the usual £28 charge?

#8 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 21:09

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Sorry everyone, I'm not sure what the situation is with free visas from other countries so wouldn't want to comment, although from my research it seems that the 'free visas until march 31st' rule is free for ALL Thai visas regardless of country of origin. Your best bet is to ring your country's Thai consulate as soon as possible and then get your application sent off straight away!
    @Roff: Yes if you include the return postage fee and nothing else they will know to process it for free- i rang and checked this when i sent mine off! Then, as long as you go to Thailand within 90 days, you're all set! Should be back to you within a few days!

#9 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 18:48

• roff

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Thanks thats reassuring to know.. didnt want to see a letter come through saying it couldnt be processed because I hadnt put down enough money! I fly out mid-May so this should work out perfectly :)

#10 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 00:52

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai Visa Advice Needed ... By alitrfc on 27 Dec 2008 4 2280 29 Dec 2008