Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Islands where to go?

• melanieg

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011

Hi there,

We are a young couple (25/26 years old) and will start our trip to Thailand in 3 and a half weeks. After 2-3 days of Bangkok we plan to visit Chiang Mai via night train to do a trekking tour with elephants and by feet. Than we fly back to Bangkok. After it we would like go south to do Island Hopping. We have in total 3 weeks. We would like to have a cheap accomodation/bungalow which is clean and near the beach with double rooms. Which Islands could you recommend for a young couple that likes to meet other people but also likes privacy. What is the best way to go there from Bangkok? What is the best way to get from one Island to the other?

Thanks for your help!
    Melanie

#1 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 15:21

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Melanie - I would suggest that you have a look here ->> http://www.travelfish.org/islands.php
    for an overview of different island options and see what grabs you.

There will always be boats/ferries running between most of the islands so don't worry about that just yet. To get south, you can take a train, bus or fly. The best option depends on your budget and your destination - so work out which islands are of interest first.

Check out the weather map to understand the weather patterns on the east and west side. http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

#2 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 17:36

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

In three weeks I personally wouldn't recommend you try to 'hop' too many islands; the travel, although not always really long, can be exhausting and although it's definitely part of the experience, you'll probably have a nicer time if you choose a few islands.
    I went to Thailand last year with my boyfriend, and we're going again this year. We're 20 and 21, but don't really like the partying scene so much, although we like being in places with other people. Our favourite island was Koh Samui- we stayed on Chaweng beach and absolutely loved it! We stayed at a place called T@B which (despite the unappealing name!) was really clean and a 1 minute walk from the best part of the beach, and only 500B per night. It's at one end of the main tourist road, which means its not too loud but its within walking distance of a multitude of bars, shops, markets, restaurants etc, and we loved it there (actually stayed there for almost 3 weeks of our 10 week stay in Thailand!) There is a cabaret show across the road which plays music until 11ish, and a 'bar' across the road which sees white men entertained by Thai ladies, but we never found it a problem and actually found it quite funny to watch sometimes! If you do decide to go to Samui, then Koh Phagnan and Koh Tao are not too far away by boat so you can spend some time there too.
    On the other hand, there is the other side of South Thailand where you can stay on Phuket, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta etc. Honestly, we loved these places too! I would suggest you have a little look at the islands on either coast and see which is for you, but try to choose just one side because you'll waste at least a day, perhaps two, travelling from one side of Thailand to the other!

#3 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 19:23

• bumbly

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2011

I was in the same boat as you a couple weeks ago, I wanted cheap accomodation, night life when the mood struck BUT peace and quiet and the chance to get away from the crowd as well, I chose the island of Koh Chang, on the East Coast of Thailand, and i am so happy I did! There is everything you could want, depending on what area you travel to and there is ample accomodations in any range of $ u like! Good Luck, 'hope you find what you are looking for!

#4 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 19:58

• melanieg

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011

Thanks for the good advices! At the moment it looks like Ko Chang is the only alternative - if the weather does not change...

Take care!

#5 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 02:33

• omnithought

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I stayed only one night on Koh Samui and found it crowded and ramshackle. I went to Koh Pha Ngan, to Haad Chaophao on the west side of the island, away from the Full Moon Party. It was beautiful, quiet and of course, inexpensive. I wouldn't recommend the Full Moon Party itself, though.

#6 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 09:17

• jnelson232

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2011
    Location United States

I would totally and completely recommend both the full moon party and half-moon party. Is it a deep immersive cultural experience? no, but its still a lot of fun to cover yourself in body paint and dance on a beach/jungle.

Saying that I would recommend Ko Pha Ngan. Bottle beach on the north part of the island is really beautiful and has a more chill vibe. I wouldn't stay on the beach full moon takes place on because of the jet skis, trash, and higher prices.

#7 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 21:10

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

I would recommend Ko Lanta as well. they also do Full and Half moon parties. Plus getting on and the island is less affected by the weather due to the car ferries. And you can pick up some pretty cheap accom as well.

#8 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 18:37

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

I personally preferred Koh Lanta in the Krabi Province.

Safe travels :)

#9 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 14:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.