Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa Query

• beyun

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011

I am leaving for BKK in one week. When I first bought my flight it was for 28 days, but then I said to myself "What the hell" and extended it by two weeks.

My question is whether or not I will be denied entry because my stay will be longer than the visa-free period. Will it be enough just to apply for an extension during my stay?

Also, has anyone heard how strictly they have been enforcing the cash on hand law?

#1 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 00:41

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Good on you for extending. More is better, I always say!

Anyhow - you would be best to apply for the 2 month visa before you leave if you can. You would have to take your passport to the Thai embassy (or post it if you had more time...). They are giving out 2 month visas for free at the moment.

If you can't manage that before you go, you won't have a problem with the Thai's letting you in (based on other traveller's experiences) - but your airline may refuse to let you board as they are ultimately responsible for your deportation if the Thai's did happen to refuse you entry. I understand this is more a problem with flights coming from the UK (British Air, I think, in particular - but check out other posts of this nature in the Visa section of this forum).

If you are really worried about it, you could also buy a cheap, 'disposable' ticket to KL or similar - whereever has the cheapest deal.

I don't think that you can extend your visa while still in Thailand. Most people end up having to do a visa run across a border somewhere.

Finally - be aware that is you do a visa run and return into Thailand over land, that you would be issued with a new 14-day visa - so would have to work out your timing. You would get another month if you came back by air.

#2 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 02:45

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey BusyLizzy, I think that the free visa thing ended on the 11th of this month. Business as usual now. At least, according to the Thai Consulates in Toronto and Ottawa.

#3 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 02:57

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Oh really?! Oh well, all good things have to come to an end sooner or later, I guess!

#4 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 03:03

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hi tilapia,

i'm from toronto, and am interested in recieving this extended visa as well... is there a site to confirm if it is too late for us canadians to recieve the extended visa.?

thanks

#5 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 07:05

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, all good things do come to an end, except Nirvana and Heaven from what I've been told. No personal experience with that, though, or from anyone else to the best of my knowledge.

Ryder, depending on how long you plan to be in the area and the route(s) you think you'll cover, it might be a good investment to get a multi-entry visa anyway. If you're only going for a month and don't plan to leave Thailand, then there's no point.

#6 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 08:08

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, all good things do come to an end, except Nirvana and Heaven from what I've been told. No personal experience with that, though, or from anyone else to the best of my knowledge.

Ryder, depending on how long you plan to be in the area and the route(s) you think you'll cover, it might be a good investment to get a multi-entry visa anyway. If you're only going for a month and don't plan to leave Thailand, then there's no point.

#7 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 08:08

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

#8 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 08:08

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Whoa! No idea why that posted three times.

#9 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 08:09

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Somtam, maybe you could dump my last 3 posts (including the two that were repeats of the 4th last)? SVP???

#10 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 08:10

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Somtam et al overhauled the whole site recently. There's a bugs thread somewhere... 'til they work out the kinks we can just pretend like we're talking in a cave-ave-ave...

mai pen rai!

#11 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 19:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam Visa query ... By Flo76 on 27 Jun 2008 2 2275 13 Jul 2008