Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok Airport Train

• scorch

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009

I will be traveling from the Bangkok airport to the main train station to catch a train to
    Nong Khai. I saw on the internet that there is now a train station at the airport. Could
    anyone tell me if I can catch a train from the airport to the main train station?
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 14:13

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The train from the airport is on the lowest level take the City route to Makkasan then change to the metro station Petchaburi which goes all the way to Hualamphong-the main railway station.

#2 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 15:45

• scorch

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009

Thanks much!!!!

#3 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 16:10

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It even has its own Wiki article now =)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport_Link

#4 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 16:10

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link (SARL) Makkasan station is ~300+m away from the MRT Phetchaburi station. a linkway between the two has yet to be built. you'll have to cross a road (no pedestrian crossing if i recall correctly) & a single track railway line when walking between the two stations. not that bad in heavy traffic cos you can cross the roads by weaving in between the vehicles as they crawl along...but maybe not so fun if it's raining & if you have lotsa luggage to carry/drag along.

btw there's a direct overnight bus from Suvarnabhumi to Nong Khai (though i understand not everyone likes sleeping on buses).

#5 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 23:35

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Wandering cat
    But doesn't the Petchaburi MRT station have entrances on each side of the road or is my memory playing tricks? Still it's very amiss on the part of the Thais not to have sorted this out by now as Airport to Railway station is an important link.
    The thought of 12 hours on a bus after a long haul doesn't really grab me either but nice to know it exists.

#6 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 01:04

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

My apologies Wandering Cat.I just went over the route in my mind and there is a T-junction joining the main road,so you DO have to cross qiute a busy road linked to the main road but I think it has traffic lights so you'd still have an opportunity to weave your way through, though as you say not ideal if you have a lot of luggage.

#7 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 01:49

• scorch

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009

Thanks you all for your help. I'll be flying in from Hong Kong, so a short flight, arriving about 1:00PM. I've booked a ticket on the overnight train to Nong Khai, which leaves, I believe, about 8:30PM, so I have lots of time to get to the station. I would rather take a train than a taxi, as I have found some of the Bangkok taxi drivers to be a little less than honest. Anyway, thanks again for the information.

#8 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 07:03

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

just walked the route between SARL Makkasan station & the closest exit of MRT Phetchaburi station last Dec (2010)...as far as i rem, the junction of Kamphaeng Phet dunno-what-number Rd & Asok Rd didn't have a proper pedestrian crossing, so you just cross through the gaps between vehicles.

the big junction (under a flyover i think) further on towards another exit of MRT Phetchaburi station closest to Khlong Saen Saeb/Asok Pier does have a proper pedestrian crossing with lights.

thing to note about the MRT system (esp if you're in a hurry) - you'll have to go through metal detectors to enter the stations, & have seen quite a few tourists asked to open up their luggage bags for inspection (can be quite a pain if your bag was packed to bursting point).

there's a motorbike taxi 'stand' at SARL Makkasan station.

#9 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 08:31

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'you'll have to go through metal detectors to enter the stations,'
    Yes, I saw those and walked swiftly to the side of them, nobody stopped me :-)
    But what are they looking for?

#10 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 20:52

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok airport - transfer to train ... By maribsa on 31 May 2010 5 2314 3 Jun 2010
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 11 31820 10 Jul 2014
Hualumpong train station Vs. Bangkok Airport for storage? ... By translasian on 21 Aug 2006 0 2461 21 Aug 2006
Overnight Train from Suvarnahumbi airport to Chiang Mai - which train station is closest? ... By etsai026 on 14 Oct 2006 1 3088 15 Oct 2006