Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Buddhist Retreat, Thailand?

• bumbly

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2011

Can anyone reccomend a good buddhist meditation center in Thailand for the early-mid month of April, 2011? I am looking for a 7-10 day retreat for beginners, taught in English. I am currently in the province of Trat, so somewhere close would be convenient but not manditory. I recognize April is a "holiday" month for most parts here and I am guessing that is why it has been hard to find a place during my research. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#1 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 20:25

• Advertisement

• bkkpk

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2011

Suan Mokkh in Surat Thani is a very famous retreat center known throughout Thailand and abroad, founded by Buddhadasa Bhikku. They offer 10 day retreats for beginners (in English) starting the first of every month. You can check out the website here:

http://www.suanmokkh-idh.org/

I have not done one yet myself but I have heard only good things.

#2 Posted: 26/3/2011 - 12:06

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Aside from Wat Suan Mokkh, you may also want to check these:

www.vimokkha.com
    www.watkowtahm.org
    www.fivethousandyears.org
    www.watpahnanachat.org
    www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schabha.shtml
    www.palikanon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm
    www.buddhistravel.com

Some of these you will need to reserve space in advance while others may be open to a last minute arrival.

Good luck,

DL

#3 Posted: 28/3/2011 - 07:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Buddhist retreat/ meditation group in Vietnam ... By malthoff on 13 Sep 2008 3 13823 29 Jul 2011