Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Buddhist Retreat, Thailand?

Posted by bumbly on 25/3/2011 at 20:25

Can anyone reccomend a good buddhist meditation center in Thailand for the early-mid month of April, 2011? I am looking for a 7-10 day retreat for beginners, taught in English. I am currently in the province of Trat, so somewhere close would be convenient but not manditory. I recognize April is a "holiday" month for most parts here and I am guessing that is why it has been hard to find a place during my research. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#1 bumbly has been a member since 2/2/2011. Posts: 23

Posted by bkkpk on 26/3/2011 at 12:06

Suan Mokkh in Surat Thani is a very famous retreat center known throughout Thailand and abroad, founded by Buddhadasa Bhikku. They offer 10 day retreats for beginners (in English) starting the first of every month. You can check out the website here:

http://www.suanmokkh-idh.org/

I have not done one yet myself but I have heard only good things.

#2 bkkpk has been a member since 30/1/2011. Posts: 13
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by DLuek on 28/3/2011 at 07:38 TF writer

Aside from Wat Suan Mokkh, you may also want to check these:

www.vimokkha.com
www.watkowtahm.org
www.fivethousandyears.org
www.watpahnanachat.org
www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schabha.shtml
www.palikanon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm
www.buddhistravel.com

Some of these you will need to reserve space in advance while others may be open to a last minute arrival.

Good luck,

DL

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,121
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.