Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Samiu Direct Boat

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

I heard there is a Bangkok to Samiu Direct Boat but i couldnt find any information about it!

Any help would be appreciated!

#1 Posted: 27/3/2011 - 15:48

• Advertisement

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Where is it going to go? Down the river? Lomprayah run a 'direct' (i.e. combined) bus and boat service - roughly 8 hours on the bus from Bangkok to Chumphorn, and then a four to five hour ride on the catamaran ferry from Chumphorn to Samui. Buses leave from near Khaosan at 9pm and 6am every day, and you can expect to arrive at Samui's Maenam Pier at around 11.20am and 4.40pm respectively. Details at www.lomprayah.com - hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 27/3/2011 - 16:11

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

its a new direct service, im guessing from a pier in southern Bangkok!

its goes from Bangkok to Samiu and back daily and takes around 12 hours and costs around 900bhat, i read it in a local paper but cant find anymore details!

Also i avoid any form of travel or travel agencies around Khao San area due to the amount of thief and the conditions of the buses etc, its cheaper and safer to travel on the public buses/boat or train and boat, although taking the train involves more hassel, the bus is cheap around 550 for a bus and boat ticket from the southern bus terminal in Bangkok leaving every hour and it goes onto the boat, but the train station in Surathani to the boat involves getting on a bus to the pier which is extra hassel although its more comfy on the train and you can sleep!

but i have heard about the direct boat and would be interested in trying something different!

#3 Posted: 27/3/2011 - 23:03

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Wow, well would be interested in hearing if you do find anything out about it - not sure if 12 hours on a boat is my kind of thing, but would be an impressive new option nonetheless.

On the safety/theft side, never had any problems with Lomprayah myself, and their buses are in good nick.

#4 Posted: 27/3/2011 - 23:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

That would be quite impractical since road transport (then ferry from the nearest port) is always more reliable and efficient. Cost by sea the whole way would by necessity be more than 900b (and Thai people generally fear the sea). Anyway it would be about 500km (/12hrs=40kph - what kind of boat maintains that speed?) over unpredictable seas would prone to disaster - no thanks!

#5 Posted: 28/3/2011 - 10:29

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

I found the article!

Its in March edition of the Samui Express,

The article is called alternatives to Bangkok Airways and its lists the usual boat + bus combo's as well as
    "A recently introduced service offering a high speed boat link between Bangkok and Samui which takes 12hours but at the very reasonable cost of Bt900"

but it doesn't give any info!

#6 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 14:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.