Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Clothing for females

• ValenciaPil-
    grim

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2007

Hello!
    I would like some detailed info about clothing, please. I am planning a one week trip, and I don't want to carry much with me! I plan to visit many temples in Bangkok, and I don't want to offend. Are tank tops inappropriate? How about shirts with just a hint of a sleeve (I think it's called a cap sleeve)? How about long (almost to the knee or just past) shorts on women? Also, how long do skirts have to be to be appropriate for temples and / or other tourism?

Finally - shoes. I have a nice pair of leather teeva sandals - good for walking. Will these be sufficient, or will I want to spend premium bag space on tennis shoes too? I know I will do a lot of shopping but I have wide American feet ( 9 Wide in womens) and a regualar American woman sized body ( aprox size 10 pants) so I'm not sure how easy it will be to buy the essential clothing items.

I will also visit beaches, and I understand about anything is ok there as long as you wear a suit. Is that correct?

Thank you for any help you can give!

#1 Posted: 4/1/2007 - 11:38

• Advertisement

• Laura_B

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2006
    Total reviews: 12

Take as little as possible, if you need anything else or forget something you can easily buy clothes for very cheap in Thailand. Make sure you have something smartish for visiting temples i.e knee length skirt/ linen trousers/cropped trousers, blouse/long sleeved shirt/kaftan top (just make sure shoulders or bare back aren't on show, nothing low cut either), you shouldn't really wear flip flops in a temple either, but I've seen people do it.

Beach wear or lack of clothing isn't really appropriate in towns, but in Bangkok/Chiang Mai Thais are used to Westerners wearing that.

Swimming costumes are ok on tourist beaches, just don't go topless! I always wear sarong over my swimming costume if I go to a shop from the beach. If you go to a beach where there are less westerners, you may find you get a few stares or attention in a swimming costume, nothing to worry about.

Thais are generally modest people and they don't bare that much flesh.

As for shoes, do bring a comfortable pair, especially if you plan on going trekking or a lot of site seeing.

#2 Posted: 4/1/2007 - 22:50

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

If I'm wearing a singlet top and want to visit a temple I just wrap a sarong aroung my sholders.

#3 Posted: 5/1/2007 - 09:01

• bunny

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2006

Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to mention two of the most useful clothing items I had in my pack last summer were 1) a plain white button down shirt, and 2) a sarong. When we were out sightseeing I could wear a tank top and shorts, as long as the white shirt and sarong were with me in my daypack it was easy to slip them over whatever I was wearing and then I was appropriately dressed for temples, museums, or whatever.

I do not believe that tank tops or even cap sleeves are enough coverage for the temples, you'd need something more to cover your shoulders and upper arms.

The white cotton shirt was also great sun protection. And, of course, the sarong can be anything from a long (or short) skirt to a picnic cloth, beach towel, shawl, sheet, pillow, etc.

As for the shoes, I had a pair of tevva sandals too, and I wore them almost exclusively. If I had it to do again I don't think I would bring the tennis shoes, I'd just go with the tevvas and a cheap pair of flip flops.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip. ~Bunny

#4 Posted: 6/1/2007 - 06:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.