Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trip to Thailand

• andyp3195

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I will be arriving in Thailand in May after working in South Korea, Singapore and India and will be in the country from May 19. Am planning to spend a short time in Bangkok before hitting the islands! Would appreciate any advice on potential places to stay in Bangkok and also Phuket.

Would also love to meet up with anyone interested in travelling with me.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Andy

#1 Posted: 27/3/2011 - 23:09

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

for Bangkok just hit the kao san road area. enough places to stay and you'll find other travelers to have a beer with and share your itinerary.

never been to Phuket so got no recommendations for that, just check out the site here and you'll find something.

#2 Posted: 28/3/2011 - 16:20

• jnelson232

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2011
    Location United States

I would avoid Phuket seeing how its seedy and the beaches are super packed and dirty. I was there one night and got out as fast as humanly possible.

Try koh phangan or ko tao. Both can be reached from Bangkok by bus or train then boat.
    Both have beautiful beaches and the option of either a solid nightlife or relaxing isolation.

#3 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 15:15

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

This site has guesthouse recommendations.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/137

#4 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 07:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

svendj
    You couldn't pay me to stay on Khao San Road. If he's a backpacker type who's interested in meeting up with other backpacker types, then fine. But if not, the place is overrun with them. I MUCH prefer Sukhimvite Road area.

jnelson
    If you are looking for some nightlife, a little bit of the girlie bar scene and some quality beaches (and Phuket is a large Island with some beaches that are not crowded at all) then Phuket is not a bad choice. It does have some dirty, crowded, beaches. But it's got some nice ones too. You didn't stay long enough to find them.

#5 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 21:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.