Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best way to get to Chumphon from Sangkhlaburi?

• BTone

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi guys,

First post, sorry to be a pest and everything.

I was just wondering what the best way to get to Chumphon from Sangkhlaburi is? I plan to stay in Chumphon for a few days, so there is no rush to make a ferry or anything like that.

I've read a little bit, and one route I've seen is Sangkhlaburi to Kanchanaburi by bus, and then Kanchanaburi to Ratchaburi by bus, then catch the train to Chumphon from Ratchaburi.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

#1 Posted: 28/3/2011 - 20:18

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Pest? Hardly.

The route you set-out is the one I'd suggest.

If you're in no hurry and want to bust the trip up a little, Amphawa (from Ratchaburi), Prachuap Khiri Khan, and Ban Saphan Yai would be good spots to hang for a bit.

Enjoy.

p.s. What's the temperature like in Sangkhlaburi right now? I heard that it's been cold.

#2 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 00:34

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

I've spent plenty of time in Sangkhlaburi now but have only done this journey independently the once - as I was ultimately headed to Koh Pha Ngan I went back via Bangkok from Kanchanaburi , so as to catch the Lomprayah bus to Chumphorn and then the catamaran from there. But the route you suggest sounds like a good one, and it'll be nice to cut out the need to bypass Bangkok and to do the last leg by train for a bit of a change too.

Although you've said you're not in a hurry, don't forget the minibus to Kanchanaburi will get you there quicker than the regular bus - I never even really give the bus a thought for that leg of the journey.

As for weather, Tilapia - Sangkhla was very chilly a couple of weeks back when I was there - they'd had the brunt end of a lot of stormy weather, with a few trees down, and there was a particular chill in the air of an evening (Kanchanaburi itself was still baking, mind). Given the on-off cold snaps even taking hold of Bangkok at the moment, I imagine Sangkhla is still pretty nippy.

#3 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 03:25

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Just another thought if you're making this trip anytime soon - keep an eye on the weather, as transport in Chumphorn and Surat Thani is difficult at the moment because of the flooding they're experiencing...

#4 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 03:29

• BTone

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2011
    Location Australia

Thanks for your helpful responses.

It's going to be a while before I travel, I'm not heading over until January 2012. Just getting a bit of a heads up.

#5 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 09:25

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Well enjoy when you do get there, Sangkhlaburi is lovely - I'm crazy about the place, and hopefully you'll enjoy your time there too...

#6 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 12:21

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Agree ... Sangkhlaburi is terrific. Just don't go during a (Thai) holiday.

#7 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 17:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chumphon - north along the coast & then Sangkhlaburi via Kanchaburi... ... By altmtl on 17 Jan 2014 1 185 17 Jan 2014