Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

rain jacket?

Posted by worldbound on 30/3/2011 at 08:03

So I'm finally packing for my tip to Thailand which I leave for in one week. I;ll be there April 4 to May 4.

So, do I need a rain jacket? The one I have takes up a little more room than I would like. Should I leave it at home and buy a cheap poncho there if I need one?

Thanks everyone!

#1 worldbound has been a member since 21/2/2011. Posts: 23

Posted by douluvme49 on 30/3/2011 at 09:04

yes bring it, we've been in thailand for 3 weeks now and we have had more rain then sun. We are in the SOuth right now! The streets have 3 feet of water on them!

#2 douluvme49 has been a member since 4/2/2011. Posts: 33

Posted by busylizzy on 30/3/2011 at 14:17

Well I can't say I've experienced quite the rain that douluvme has endured in the last few weeks, but I have been in Asia during some heavy downpours.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the raincoat. With the heat experienced in Asia I couldn't stand the thought of putting on a raincoat - it would be sticky, hot and clammy. Yech! Maybe consider bringing a small fold-up umbrella. Mind you, I took one on my last trip and used it twice - to keep the sun off! You can buy super cheap ponchos there to wear if you end up on a motorbike or otherwise get caught out.

It sounds like the weather there is pretty extreme at the moment - but it can't go on forever (right?!). When in Thailand/Cambodia this time a few years ago, we had a couple of days where it dumped down for an hour or so in the afternoon. That was the perfect time to take shelter in a local restaurant and enjoy a cold drink. Worst case, you get wet - you dry out.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 30/3/2011 at 16:29

It's cold and rainy right now, but Liz is right, this won't last. It's cold for this time of year, and I expect it to break within the week and get hot.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by boxee on 30/3/2011 at 17:58

mac i hope u are correct , i was in thailand for the whole of april last year , and did not see one drop of rain , and the weather was hitting the 40 degree mark in sakhon nakhon !!,
was starting to think this year i would need a jumper and an umbrella for songkran!

#5 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by Captain_Bob on 30/3/2011 at 19:43

Freaky weather this year so don't try to predict too much. April is usually the hottest time of year but further south you can expect at least some thundershowers which tend to be short-lived. But right now it's pissing down in the south and the sun just cracked through again in the north. The coolest "hot season" I've seen here in the past decade or so. As for the jacket, personally I'd leave it out and pick one up cheap here if you find you want one (Tesco 199b!). I usually just bring a small collapsable umbrella which doubles as a sun shade on those hot days. You may still want one light pullover though for encounters with Thai-style airconditioning (turbo).

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,821

Posted by worldbound on 30/3/2011 at 19:55

Thanks for the advice everyone. I took the bulky rain jacket out of my bag and I plan on just buying a small umbrella when I get there. I'm coming from NY so I still expect it to be hot compared to the weather here!

#7 worldbound has been a member since 21/2/2011. Posts: 23

Posted by exacto on 30/3/2011 at 22:55

i've weathered more than a few rainy seasons in thailand and never used a raincoat either. the small umbrella you mentioned is a good idea. on our last two extended trips, we just picked up a few of those cheap, fold-up rain poncho things you can get for under $2 at places like Target and Walmart. small. very light. only needed to use it one time. most of the time, if it is rainy heavily, you'll be finding cover and waiting it out anyway. great chance to grab a beer until it stops. cheers.

#8 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 1/4/2011 at 18:29

When it rained, it poured here in Phuket - and it didn't let up for a week. During that time it all the local convenience stores in Patong, Karon and Kata seemed to have sold out raincoats, but now they're replenished supplies.

It's about 30-50 baht for a cheap poncho - I keep one stashed under the seat of the motorbike in case it decides to deluge again.

#9 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.