Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

rain jacket?

• worldbound

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011

So I'm finally packing for my tip to Thailand which I leave for in one week. I;ll be there April 4 to May 4.

So, do I need a rain jacket? The one I have takes up a little more room than I would like. Should I leave it at home and buy a cheap poncho there if I need one?

Thanks everyone!

#1 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 08:03

• Advertisement

• douluvme49

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

yes bring it, we've been in thailand for 3 weeks now and we have had more rain then sun. We are in the SOuth right now! The streets have 3 feet of water on them!

#2 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 09:04

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Well I can't say I've experienced quite the rain that douluvme has endured in the last few weeks, but I have been in Asia during some heavy downpours.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the raincoat. With the heat experienced in Asia I couldn't stand the thought of putting on a raincoat - it would be sticky, hot and clammy. Yech! Maybe consider bringing a small fold-up umbrella. Mind you, I took one on my last trip and used it twice - to keep the sun off! You can buy super cheap ponchos there to wear if you end up on a motorbike or otherwise get caught out.

It sounds like the weather there is pretty extreme at the moment - but it can't go on forever (right?!). When in Thailand/Cambodia this time a few years ago, we had a couple of days where it dumped down for an hour or so in the afternoon. That was the perfect time to take shelter in a local restaurant and enjoy a cold drink. Worst case, you get wet - you dry out.

#3 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 14:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's cold and rainy right now, but Liz is right, this won't last. It's cold for this time of year, and I expect it to break within the week and get hot.

#4 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 16:29

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

mac i hope u are correct , i was in thailand for the whole of april last year , and did not see one drop of rain , and the weather was hitting the 40 degree mark in sakhon nakhon !!,
    was starting to think this year i would need a jumper and an umbrella for songkran!

#5 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 17:58

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Freaky weather this year so don't try to predict too much. April is usually the hottest time of year but further south you can expect at least some thundershowers which tend to be short-lived. But right now it's pissing down in the south and the sun just cracked through again in the north. The coolest "hot season" I've seen here in the past decade or so. As for the jacket, personally I'd leave it out and pick one up cheap here if you find you want one (Tesco 199b!). I usually just bring a small collapsable umbrella which doubles as a sun shade on those hot days. You may still want one light pullover though for encounters with Thai-style airconditioning (turbo).

#6 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 19:43

• worldbound

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone. I took the bulky rain jacket out of my bag and I plan on just buying a small umbrella when I get there. I'm coming from NY so I still expect it to be hot compared to the weather here!

#7 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 19:55

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i've weathered more than a few rainy seasons in thailand and never used a raincoat either. the small umbrella you mentioned is a good idea. on our last two extended trips, we just picked up a few of those cheap, fold-up rain poncho things you can get for under $2 at places like Target and Walmart. small. very light. only needed to use it one time. most of the time, if it is rainy heavily, you'll be finding cover and waiting it out anyway. great chance to grab a beer until it stops. cheers.

#8 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 22:55

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

When it rained, it poured here in Phuket - and it didn't let up for a week. During that time it all the local convenience stores in Patong, Karon and Kata seemed to have sold out raincoats, but now they're replenished supplies.

It's about 30-50 baht for a cheap poncho - I keep one stashed under the seat of the motorbike in case it decides to deluge again.

#9 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 18:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Staying Dry- Rain Jacket? Poncho? ... By AdamZee on 16 May 2010 5 6784 17 May 2010