Current Conditions - Koh Tao

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hi all !
    I live here on Koh Tao and would like to re-assure all travelers that everything is getting back to normal. The rain has stopped, the wind has dropped and ferry services have resumed.
    Koh Tao is NOT a disaster zone - we had power, water and food - just no ferries. I have been here through many monsoons and although I have never seen this amount of rain dumped in such a short space of time, I have known ferries not run for over a week during monsoon. However this is not monsoon but a freak storm.
    There has been some damage however the majority has been to residential areas and would not effect visitors to the island. In the few places that visitors would see where there has been damage, work is already underway to fix the problems. Once the sun is out, tomorrow, the inconvenience to visitors will be negligible.
    I have seen this island dust itself off and get back to business as usual very quickly before and this time will be no different. I expect business as usual in 24 hours or less.
    If you want to read more, see photos and video then or just more specific information then please feel free to message me.

Ayesha

#1 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 21:43

• Advertisement

• worldbound

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011

Thanks for the information! I was pretty worried about how affected the area would be.

#2 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 21:59

• Louweazel

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2011

Yes thanks for your message - and I am glad to hear things are not as desperate as some press is suggesting. I hope that the clean up process goes well. Really looking forward to hopefully being able to visit on 25th as planned.

#3 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 22:02

• ayesha

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

As it stands right now a visit on the 25th will be fine!

See you soon !

#4 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 22:34

• jskiv07

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

Ayesha, that is the most promising piece I am yet to read on these recent unfortunate floods.

My girlfriend and I plan to come to Koh Phangnan on the 17th April and then will be doing Tao and Samui.

In your opinion, do you think things will be back to normal by 17th April...am I panicking too much?

Do you have any news on the other islands current status?

Thanks

James

#5 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 23:44

• ayesha

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hi there !

As usual poor old Samui was worse hit it seems but I have no idea about Phangnan.

A visit on the 17th will be fine.

Today has dawned calm and dry again. Its bright and the sun is trying very hard. Havent left the house yet this morning but if there is anything significant to report then I will.

I expect to find much more clearing up being done and life getting back to normal.

Ferries are running too.

Even yesterday the majority of bars, restaurants and other businesses were open and theres even a party planned for tonight too in Dragon Bar.

There have been a few that flooded businesses which will take a little longer - but Im talking about a handful of shops and a couple of restaurants and one resort.

Please feel free to check back with me but your visit should be fine.

Ayesha

#6 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 10:11

• thorstenber-
    lin

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi ayesha,

thank you so much for your helpful and delighting infos. this morning i was depressed about the situation in the south and now i am happy, that everything gets well.

me and my girlfriend are planning to come to koh pha ngan on monday or tuesday next week to see some remote beaches (no full-, half- and quartermoon partys!!!). so if you have some new infos about the weather and ferry-situation over there, i would apprechiate for replying on this. and - is it better to come from surat thani or champhon? so i heard the impact on surat thani was massive either.

best,
    thorsten

#7 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 11:54

• ayesha

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

I think your better route would be from Chumphon.

Its bright today and not raining and you will certainly have deserted beaches !

#8 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 12:22

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

This is great news for travellers. There will be a large number who believe what they read in the press (who are vamping up the stories to sell the papers) will cancel their holidays. The smart Travelfishers know where to come for the inside goss, and will have an awesome time on sunny and uncrowded beaches!

A few years ago I enjoyed a fantastic week or so in Fiji just after one of their many coups. Everyone got scared and followed government advice to cancel their holiday. I booked mine. Stayed at a backpackers that was right next door to a 5-star resort. The resort happily let us in to use the abandoned pool and the hotel manager even bought us drinks!

After the recent earthquake in Christchurch (NZ), travellers were warned to not come to NZ so as not to strain resources. What a load of bollocks. Christchurch was one city in NZ - the rest was completely unaffected. The warnings just didn't make sense.

So....the weather has been bad in Thailand, but the great thing about weather is that it's never permanent. And it sounds like damage is well on the way to being repaired.... Enjoy everyone - wish I was there!

#9 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 13:12

• ayesha

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Koh Tao dawned warm and sunny and remained so all day - the seas were flat calm too.

The FCO revised their advise today too..

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/travel-advice

#10 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 21:15

• Advertisement

• mattj

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2011

Hi! i'm planning on going to Koh Tao around the 15th to do my open water diving course, do you think thats still a good idea after the flooding?

#11 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 05:32

• ayesha

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

There should be no problem taking your Open Water Course on the 15th.

Ayesha

#12 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 15:35

• TheJSP

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2011

This is great news - would you happen to have any information on the resort that has been affected?

#13 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 12:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
NW Vietnam - Current Road Conditions? ... By koparsons on 26 Aug 2008 0 1880 26 Aug 2008
Current conditions and tips for the SaPa to Laung Prabang road/river trip ... By marcusfrank on 30 Nov 2009 8 2738 5 Dec 2009