Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

holiday in Thailand

• babulko

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2011

Hi we are planing to travel to Thailand beginning of May to Phuket and Bangkok, but some people are advising us not to go, can someone tell me, if it's safe, I don't know, what type of danger they have in mind, some of them mentioned floods or bombing or tsunami, do I have to be concerned about anything, could someone help me to make the final decision, everything is booked, I don't really want to cancel it, but I just don't want to be worried, I checked the weather, I think that's alright .....
    thanks

#1 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 07:23

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Might want to be more specific about what you're fearing. Yes there was a recent storm system that caused unusual flooding in the mid-south, but the weather has dried up and things should be back to normal soon. But weather is of course hard to predict in the tropics. Tsunami? Well in Japan recently as everyone knows but that's pretty far away from Thailand. Next? Bombs - there has been an ongoing seperatist movement in the furthest southeastern provinces for years, which has included some bombings and other acts of violence. But anyway it has never been aimed at tourists or tourism and is contained to those bottom three provinces which are not near most tourist destinations. You can readily rely on none of the above threats affecting your holiday except probably some thundershowers which are normal for this part of the world this time of year. Also be sure to look out for falling coconuts ;-)

Have a nice safe holiday!

#2 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 16:11

• jnelson232

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2011
    Location United States

Completely true, I was in Bangkok two years ago when the city was under martial law and honestly didn't even notice a thing. And these political protests has zero effect on the islands.

#3 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 18:03

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

You can go to New York or London or Rio or where ever and face more danger than Thailand.

#4 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 03:06

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

It's safe in temporarily sunny Phuket!

The wooden muay thai warriors have frightened them all away.

#5 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 12:09

• thisis_pat

Click here to learn more about thisis_pat
    Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2011
    Location Thailand

Travelling in Thailand is quite safe now.No worry about the bomb, Phuket and Bangkok are not in those area.If you decide to come to Bangkok, you may visit this website first, http://www.bangkokdiscover.com, This can provide you some handy and useful map and recommended travelling program in Bangkok.

#6 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 14:02

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

Its perfectly safe... You don't have anything to worry about. There was issues regarding weather in the south, some areas of SEA put on Tsunami alert after the recent earthquakes boith in amidst the consistent problems the deep south experience regarding bombings.

All in all, you will be fine. Relax and enjoy yourself. Although, be careful with the somtam :)

#7 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 14:57

• flylink

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2011

Hi,
    I don't think there is any kind of danger in traveling to Thailand.. I am also traveling there in end of May and I have already booked my air tickets.. Every bode has there own point of view, so its better you should gather as much information as you can before traveling..

#8 Posted: 30/4/2011 - 14:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"...but some people are advising us not to go, can someone tell me, if it's safe, I don't know, what type of danger they have in mind, some of them mentioned floods or bombing or tsunami, do I have to be concerned about anything.."

Are you kidding me? You are listening to advice coming from people that obviously have no real knowledge of the country you are intending to visit? Have they actually travelled to Thailand ( or anywhere else outside the borders of their own country?) It's quite common for people who haven't had the courage or inclination to get out and see the world to try and talk others out of doing it, due to fear and ignorance. Now is they could quote a specific concern based on factual information, that might be another story.

Just go get on the plane and enjoy yourself! (Just don't get run over by a bus on the way there!)

#9 Posted: 30/4/2011 - 17:54

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

HAHA! get em Lizzy! And when you get back home from your great travels OP...rub it in their face. Then, do it again. I swear as a traveler there are people who are jealous and look for any way to demean your trip. Fcuk em!!! We are all here on this website telling you about our numerous travels. We are all alive and well. Of course siht happens but I can go out in my hometown tonight and potentially get shot and robbed. Better chance than in Thailand! There are a few scams but if you know about them in advance you will be fine. I got ripped off in a sucker game in my own town on the street so.....

#10 Posted: 1/5/2011 - 12:28

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I've lived here for four years - it's completely safe. If you, by some chance, offend someone, say your sorry and you're off the hook. This is a very forgiving place.

#11 Posted: 1/5/2011 - 13:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.