Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand direct to Penang by air?

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if there is a direct flight from somewhere in southern Thailand (Phuket, Hat yai) to Penang? I've checked Airasia and they do have a flight listed but it's not possible to book and i can't find it in their timetable either.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Happy trails..

#1 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 12:13

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If it says "this flight is probably fully booked, please try another date" and when you do try other dates, the same message comes up, it usually means they've scrapped the route. If it isn't in their timetable then the route has almost certainly been withdrawn.

They never formally announce route closures on their website, just make a very loud noise when they open new ones!

#2 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 12:38

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Thanks much SBE, I suppose its scrapped then.

However, i just found Firefly (not the most convincing name for an airline?) that seems to have daily flights out of Phuket, cheap fares too. Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

#3 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 12:59

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

If you go by minivan from Hat Yai, it will cost about $10-$15 US and take around 3-4 hours.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 13:13

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

If you go by minivan from Hat Yai, it will cost about $10-$15 US and take around 3-4 hours.

#5 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 13:13

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I think the problem is going to be getting from Phuket to Had Yai right now rather than crossing the border Cranky! If the road south is indeed impracticable due to flood damage, there's going to be a high demand for flights to both Had Yai and Penang.

Haven't tried Firefly but I expect it's perfectly fine.

#6 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 17:33

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I flew FireFly for the first time last weekend. The plane was much smaller than AirAsia, but it was a perfectly comfortable flight and they even gave free refreshments - cake and juice.

#7 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 19:49

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I flew FireFly for the first time last weekend. The plane was much smaller than AirAsia, but it was a perfectly comfortable flight and they even gave free refreshments - cake and juice.

#8 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 19:49

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@SBE - Oh right. I knew that :]~

Don't know Firefly, but I once flew in fear of fire, on 1-2-Go from Bangkok to Phuket.

Thought we were going to crash about fifty times. Airline has a bad rep. Sure is cheap though!

#9 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 12:50

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You're cleverer than I am Cranky! I've tried several times but never managed to actually book any flights on the1-2-Go (now called Orient Thai I think) website. It's still one of the crappiest most user-unfriendly airline websites ever...used to be in Thai only too if I remember right.

The difference between it and Air Asia's website probably largely explains why Air Asia grew like mad and 1-2-go didn't! (Air Asia, Nok Air and 1-2-Go all started up at roughly the same time a few years back)

Actually I did check to see if 1-2- Go and Nok Air had Phuket -Had Yai flights yesterday. Nok Air doesn't. 1-2-Go say they do but when you try to book they say no flight available .... so I didn't recommend Sampan to try them too! Firefly sounds like a better bet to me.

#10 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 16:52

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.