Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai for songkran

• jackymoon

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2010

I'm going back to my favorite city ever for Songkran. I wonder how full it gets? Do I need a booking for a room? Also any other wisdom you'd like to impart, always get great info here, thanks guys.

#1 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 18:12

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It depends on what day you arrive here. Now it's fairly quiet and lots of people seem to be checking out or on the move, but a lot of tourists will be flooding back in at the end of the week to kick off the festival, although it probably won't get serious until the 11th/12th. Cheap rooms don't take bookings and those that do may require a minimum 5 days or so. Try to get in by around Monday 11th if possible and then stay the duration until 16th. Then life returns more or less to normal although transport back to Bangkok is full a couple more days.

#2 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 18:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good vice from Captain_Bob above -- we've also just run a story on this very topic on the CM blog ... may be of help.

Don't forget a plastic bag for the camera!

#3 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 18:35

• jackymoon

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2010

I'm coming in overland from China, transportation should be no problem no? (and I will defa be there before re 11th)

#4 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 18:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Many of the transportation options from China will also probably be filled with Chinese tourists doing Laos holidays as well (pee mai Lao "new year" isn't a Chinese event but they increasingly follow the festival flow) so again be prepared for full buses into and through northern Laos. Get into and establish your base, then let fly but with the usual cautionary advice about alcohol and accidents.

Good write-up on the Travelfish link!

#5 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 22:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting to Chiang Mai Songkran ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 10 Mar 2013 2 1547 12 Mar 2013
Chiang Mai and around for Songkran next weekend! ... By whiskieman on 6 Apr 2012 4 1300 8 Apr 2012