Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai for songkran

Posted by jackymoon on 5/4/2011 at 18:12

I'm going back to my favorite city ever for Songkran. I wonder how full it gets? Do I need a booking for a room? Also any other wisdom you'd like to impart, always get great info here, thanks guys.

#1 jackymoon has been a member since 20/10/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/4/2011 at 18:31

It depends on what day you arrive here. Now it's fairly quiet and lots of people seem to be checking out or on the move, but a lot of tourists will be flooding back in at the end of the week to kick off the festival, although it probably won't get serious until the 11th/12th. Cheap rooms don't take bookings and those that do may require a minimum 5 days or so. Try to get in by around Monday 11th if possible and then stay the duration until 16th. Then life returns more or less to normal although transport back to Bangkok is full a couple more days.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/4/2011 at 18:35 admin

Good vice from Captain_Bob above -- we've also just run a story on this very topic on the CM blog ... may be of help.

Don't forget a plastic bag for the camera!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jackymoon on 5/4/2011 at 18:40

I'm coming in overland from China, transportation should be no problem no? (and I will defa be there before re 11th)

#4 jackymoon has been a member since 20/10/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/4/2011 at 22:57

Many of the transportation options from China will also probably be filled with Chinese tourists doing Laos holidays as well (pee mai Lao "new year" isn't a Chinese event but they increasingly follow the festival flow) so again be prepared for full buses into and through northern Laos. Get into and establish your base, then let fly but with the usual cautionary advice about alcohol and accidents.

Good write-up on the Travelfish link!

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.