Thailand forum

Koh Tao or Surat Thani?

• BTone

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2011
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 23

I really want to stay in Chumphon for a few days, and I've come across a bit of a dilemma.

I'm trying to decide between going to Surat Thani , and chilling there for a few days, and then heading to Koh Phangan and Koh Sumai (I've been before and loved both), or going from Chumphon to Koh Tao, and then the other two. Surat Thani is not an option onthe way back, because I'm flying back to Bangkok from Sumai.

Firstly, is it really worth going to Koh Tao? I'm on a bit of a budget, and I'm not really interested in diving. I'm getting plenty of other Islands in during my trip.

Secondly, what's Surat Thani like?

Finally, is it easy to getfrom Chumphon to Surat Thani?

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 12:41

• Advertisement

• youthinasia

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2011

If you aren't going to be diving then I would personally suggest you cross Koh Tao off your list for the sole purpose that it is very much a diving island. Accommodation can be harder sort in the high season if you aren't booked into a diving resort and the general feel of the place is geared towards that of all things scuba. There are only so many diving anecdotes and stories one can take and you'll be driven to early nights by the likes of gap year student Sebastian from Plymouth spouting non-stop cliches about how he discovered himself whilst french-kissing a Trigger fish.

In other words give it a miss..although admittedly the beaches and scenery can be quite stunning.
    It all depends on your time frame really.

As far as Surrathani goes as a city it is really quite dull. It boasts little other than a Tesco Lotus, a Big C, a smattering of sordid karaoke bars and a series trite 'restaurants'. The best thing about the city is its proximity to the Donsak Ferry port where Samui and Phanngan wait to rid you of your hard owned baht.

Very easy to get from Chumphon to Surat, either by minibus, regular bus or train. Each takes approximately 2 hours and the train journey inparticular is most scenic.

You could of course choose the slightly dearer but more adventurous route which consists of a trip on the Lomprayha Catarmaran from Chumphon ferry port to Koh Tao and then onto Samui or Phangan from there. From Chumphon to Koh Tao takes around 4 hours whilst the other two island lay some further two hours south.

Enjoy your trip...I'm jealous.

#2 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 16:59

• BTone

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2011
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Cheers for that, you're a legend.

#3 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 20:26

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

As already said, Its a diving island but still a laid back gorgeous island with nice beaches and reasonable snorkeling.

Surat Thani is pretty dull and generally visited as the gateway to Samui and Phangan.

Safe travels :)

#4 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 13:56

• lathdas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2011

Does anyone know if it is possible to catch either the night or day train from Bkk to Chumphon, then get to Koh Tao, without staying overnight in Chumphon?

thanks

dean

#5 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 12:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Surathani is just a hot dusty crowded port town and regional cente a fair way up a river. Not too much for the traveller.
    Ko Tao is a nice island diver or not. Way better place to spend your time and different enough from Phangan and Samui.

#6 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 18:22

• lathdas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2011

Tezza, really appreciate your reply, but maybe a little misunderstanding. Never has any intention of going to Surathani. Really just want to know if there is any time to catch a train from Bkk in order to reach Chumphon in time to get the Lomprayah ferry to Koh Tao WITHOUT an overnight stay in Chumphon?
    Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks again
    Dean

#7 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 09:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
surat thani ... By TRENTA on 30 Oct 2006 1 2524 30 Oct 2006
Anyone in Surat Thani ? ... By ianintheworld on 25 Feb 2014 4 606 2 Mar 2014
BKK to Surat Thani to Phucket to Ko Yao Noi ... By Renee2383 on 29 Oct 2006 2 3467 1 Nov 2006
Kanchanaburi --> Surat Thani? ... By susan32 on 26 Feb 2008 2 7867 29 Feb 2008
Koh Samui via Surat Thani? ... By chrisa77 on 19 Sep 2007 7 5702 25 Sep 2007
surat thani to airport ... By lerot on 2 Apr 2012 1 1405 2 Apr 2012
getting from patong to surat thani ... By kopite1984 on 29 Feb 2008 3 5827 29 Feb 2008
Travel from Koh Tao to Surat Thani ... By MLSinclair on 4 Aug 2010 1 10232 4 Aug 2010
things to do around surat thani ... By judeela on 12 Jun 2010 3 2623 25 Jun 2010
Surat Thani to Trang ... By aldoscriba on 21 Dec 2011 6 4317 25 Dec 2011