Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

4 week itinerary help!

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Hi, I am travelling to thailand on july 10th for 4 weeks with my girlfriend and another couple. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on a basic itinerary. We will be pretty flexible and dont want to be too rushed. We want to see a few sites etc the first couple of weeks then go to the islands in the Gulf coast the last 2 weeks (as the weather is better here around this time?)

So far this is what we have.

Bangkok 4 days - relax and site see
    train to Kanchanaburi 2-3 days - erawan waterfalls and other sites
    train down to Surat Thani and trip to Khao Sok National Park 2-3 days
    make way to koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phan Ghan
    Back to Bangkok for 2 days before returning to UK.

Can anyone recommend places to visit/alternatives to consider etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Adam.

#1 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 19:56

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'd back end BKK a little by departing early for Kanchanaburi. Overall you've got 6 days planned for it - and I don't think it needs more than 3/4 at the expense of time in much more beautiful and fun places. Maybe just leave BKK on day 3 and that way you have at least an extra day to play with throughout the rest of your time - you can always return to BKK earlier if you are tired of the blue sky and beaches and would rather be sweltering in a concrete jungle.

#2 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 11:03

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Thanks for the reply, will def consider that!

do you think both Kanchanaburi and Khao Sok are a good idea? or should I pick one of them just?

#3 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 15:20

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I love Bangkok personally. It is a unique city and I like going out to events to see the night life. There is always an international Dj or two in town. There are several high rise bistros and bars. If that ain't your style there are many cool little shops and cafes to see how the locals live life. Most of the foreigners are centered around Khao Sarn and Sukhumvit. Outside of these areas most farang don't go. That being said you could possibly do a whole trip in Thailand and spend most of it with Farang as we tend to do the same things. It is a good idea though to leave it loose for extra unexpected time so i do agree with Casey on that respect.

You said a month right? So far you have about 12 day non island time. The schedule you have looks doable. At the end you will want to re visit some shops in BKK for last minute stuff. I usually save that for MBK shopping center.

Many tourists want to see the sights as do I but I like the pulse of the city. Many skip it and only see the main tourist areas.

#4 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 03:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Casey, I like concrete jungles, or at least THAT concrete jungle. Perhaps the ones in China aren't as fun. Good dancing in BKK.

As for the rest, sounds like a good, loose plan. Don't forget to visit the military cemetary in Kanchanaburi - remember the incredible sacrifices those men made for our freedoms today. It sounds corny and trite, but they really do deserve our respect.

#5 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 22:31

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I agree with Casey and as he/she says you can always go back to Bangkok a day or two earlier if you want to at the end of your trip. Book a couple of nights and see how you feel once you're there.

Khao Sok and Kanchanaburi are totally different so it's worth visiting both. Jungle trekking in Khao Sok might be a bit difficult if it's raining a lot though ... again, just stay flexible and see what the weather's like when you get there.

#6 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 05:00

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking that we will want to relax for a few days after long flights, then we can start moving around. Also think we will go back to Bangkok for some shopping! Thinking of the women here! lol.

We are going for both Kanchanaburi and Khao Sok and will just see how it goes! If the weather is poor, we can move on a day early!

Thanks Again!

#7 Posted: 11/4/2011 - 19:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The great thing about this plan is you didn't overload it with a tight schedule. So if you're enjoying Bangkok, you can stay. If you're not, you can move on. You have a nice outline, and you can move with it until you run out of time. I think that's a smart way to go. Maybe you'll be like Casey and want out of the city. Maybe you'll be like Thomas and want to stay longer. We're all different so unltimately it will be how you regard it. Like I said, the good thing about this plan is you've built in flex time. Smart move. Have a great trip.

#8 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 10:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.