Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Electronics / ipod

• ValenciaPil-
    grim

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2007

I am really clueless about the whole power / voltage issue! the FAQ said "bring a universal adaptor" because the plugs in Thailand are not standardized. Do I need to use a UA if the plug has three prongs and my appliance only has 2? What do I do if I have an appliance that doesn't go up to 220V?

Also, getting very specific, how does everyone charge their ipods in Thailand? Do you have to bum a charge off someone with a laptop, or do you have an AC adaptor that works in Thailand? If so, where did you buy it, and how expensive was it?

#1 Posted: 5/1/2007 - 20:43

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Plugs in Thailand are mostly two pins like this:

| |

So if your plug is two flat or round pins ( | | or o o ) -- apologies for the lack of fine art renderings! -- then you should be fine.

I'm not sure about the AC adaptor thing -- we bought our Ipod with iPod speakers, and that has the charger built in to all the cabling.

There are iPod shops in Bangkok so at worst you could swing by one of those and see what they have to say.

Sorry can't be of more help.

#2 Posted: 6/1/2007 - 09:58

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

Get a small cheap adaptor from a department store/computer hard ware shop in Thailand. It should cost no more than 100-150 baht. It will have the Thailand pins on one side, which go into the socket, then the other side will most probably be able to accept pins from most countries. If you have that, you'll be fine. Don't think you need to worry about the voltage, most electronics are built to be from 100-220/240V - the ipod most certainly is, regardless of what plugs it comes with.

Regarding the AC adaptor, you might like to go to Bangkok's pantip plaza (computer hardware/software/electronics haven) in Pratunam to buy a cheap Asian-made, generic iPod AC charger. Just bring your iPod's USB cable along. I am sure Pantip stocks the generic, Asian-made iPod chargers.

If you need to see what I'm talking about — click this.
    http://houseofmouse.com.sg/Accessories/Big/Aa122.jpg

They will be very cheap — 200 baht-ish? and suited for Thailand. The original one from Apple US is at least US$30.

Which iPod are you using, specifically?

#3 Posted: 11/1/2007 - 20:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.