Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Electronics / ipod

Posted by ValenciaPilgrim on 5/1/2007 at 20:43

I am really clueless about the whole power / voltage issue! the FAQ said "bring a universal adaptor" because the plugs in Thailand are not standardized. Do I need to use a UA if the plug has three prongs and my appliance only has 2? What do I do if I have an appliance that doesn't go up to 220V?

Also, getting very specific, how does everyone charge their ipods in Thailand? Do you have to bum a charge off someone with a laptop, or do you have an AC adaptor that works in Thailand? If so, where did you buy it, and how expensive was it?

#1 ValenciaPilgrim has been a member since 2/1/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/1/2007 at 09:58 admin

Plugs in Thailand are mostly two pins like this:

| |

So if your plug is two flat or round pins ( | | or o o ) -- apologies for the lack of fine art renderings! -- then you should be fine.

I'm not sure about the AC adaptor thing -- we bought our Ipod with iPod speakers, and that has the charger built in to all the cabling.

There are iPod shops in Bangkok so at worst you could swing by one of those and see what they have to say.

Sorry can't be of more help.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by skinnylatte on 11/1/2007 at 20:51

Get a small cheap adaptor from a department store/computer hard ware shop in Thailand. It should cost no more than 100-150 baht. It will have the Thailand pins on one side, which go into the socket, then the other side will most probably be able to accept pins from most countries. If you have that, you'll be fine. Don't think you need to worry about the voltage, most electronics are built to be from 100-220/240V - the ipod most certainly is, regardless of what plugs it comes with.

Regarding the AC adaptor, you might like to go to Bangkok's pantip plaza (computer hardware/software/electronics haven) in Pratunam to buy a cheap Asian-made, generic iPod AC charger. Just bring your iPod's USB cable along. I am sure Pantip stocks the generic, Asian-made iPod chargers.

If you need to see what I'm talking about — click this.
http://houseofmouse.com.sg/Accessories/Big/Aa122.jpg

They will be very cheap — 200 baht-ish? and suited for Thailand. The original one from Apple US is at least US$30.

Which iPod are you using, specifically?

#3 skinnylatte has been a member since 19/7/2005. Posts: 57
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.