Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Moving on from Krabi in the afternoon

• richardhjan5

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Hi everyone

Before confirming some accommodation, I am trying to see what the options are for onward travel from Krabi .
    We'll be getting in a bit on the late side, once at 2pm ( KL - Krabi in late Dec }and then another time at about 4pm.( BKK - Krabi in mid Jan)

I quite fancy hanging around for a few nights in Krabi, doing a few day trips etc but not both times. We are a family with a couple of kids 7 & 9 and it sounds like there are a few things to do.
    And time is tighter on the way back through in Jan too.
    We are on a backpacker family budget so catching a $100 private evening transfer is not on the cards.

One possible plan might be to grab transport to the Trang area and then go across to one of the Trang Islands for a few days.
    Would buses/vans run at that time?
    It seems like the last ferry to Lanta goes at 4pm ish. Are we likely to make the connection if our arrival time is 2pm @ Krabi airport?

If moving on from Krabi after 3/4pm is just not an option, so be it.

Any info greatly appreciated from those in the know!

Cheers

Richard

#1 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 15:55

• Advertisement

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

I highly recommend the Trang islands if you have the opportunity. Also, i am very sure with your arrival time in Krabi airport being 2pm you will make the last ferry onto Koh Lanta, another highly recommended place to go. Good luck!

#2 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 08:05

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The Trang islands are pretty good. I'd be accessing out of Trang, not Lanta unless you want to see Lanta too.
    KK Travel in Trang opposite the railway station is very efficient and super scrupulous and can organise transport and accomm bookings if you haven't got them. But in those months you should book ahead.

You mention lack of time - getting to and from the Trang islands will burn a fair bit. Why not Lanta itself? Nice island with a good variety of beaches and lots of accommodation.
    Closer to Krabi - Ko Jum is a good one. More laid back than a lot of islands.
    Phi Phi is real easy to get to out of Krabi - people knock it as being too busy and developed. They haven't stayed on the laid back east coast.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 20:45

• richardhjan5

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Thanks for the replies guys.

There's definitely a lot of options to choose from!
    We are starting the trip with a bit of beach time - we get to Krabi on 28 Dec @ 2pm and then need to be back in Krabi on 4 Jan to catch a flight to Bangkok.
    That gives us 7 nights in the area.

My original plan was perhaps to grab a room in Krabi town for 2 nights and then do a bit of day tripping around the area.
    Then maybe off to Lanta for the rest of the time ( 5 nights - too long maybe?? )

Plan B was to head straight for Lanta and then combine that with another island.
    Just conscious of not trying to squeeze too much in though.

Tezza, I had a good look at your blog info - awesome stuff. Really really informative. I wouldn't rule out Phi Phi either, but it would be a no-go if the costs are too high.

Then we come back through later on our way back to Oz, we have 5 nights in the area again, arriving back in Krabi on 16 Jan and then flying back to KL on 21 Jan.

But that time we don't get to Krabi until about 4pm, so I am assuming that will be a night in Krabi and then off somewhere the next day, leaving us 4 nights. ( Too tight for Trang, I am thinking )

To give you some idea, my last trip to Thailand was 20 years ago in '91 to Ko Phan Ngan and Samui so I am not sure what to expect in terms of "touristy":) and I know that travelling when we are going is going to be absolute peak season.

That said we are Bali lovers and can always find time for a week in Kuta before heading to a quieter spot :)

With the kids in tow, a beach with nothing else isn't really going to work but then again maybe "laid back" these days in that part of Thailand is still plenty busy for a family holiday.

I'll have a squiz at Ko Jum for sure.

Anyway - if there are any creative itinerary suggestions out there. i'd love to hear them:)

Cheers

Richard

#4 Posted: 28/4/2011 - 17:28

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Well yeah, you can go nuts with all the options available for those 2 time periods.

Just one of many alternatives - seing you are keen on Lanta and the Trang islands why not head straight there from Krabi airport on the 28th - grab a taxi for Lanta, stay a few days and then jump Tigerline or one of the daytrip boats for the Trang island of your choice for a few more.
    On the way back thru on the 16th, grab another taxi for Ao Nang, either stay there or go across to Railay - and enjoy your 5 nights at the beach - these are nicer locations than Krabi town and better bases for daytrips.

One thing's for sure - that is a real busy time of year so make sure you book accommodation a long way ahead.

#5 Posted: 29/4/2011 - 19:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.