Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Which islands are best at end of April? Last minute trip on the cards

Posted by BV2011 on 7/4/2011 at 22:08

Dear all,
Do you have any tips on which islands would be best to visit at the end of April. We're looking for somewhere away from the crowds, quiet and secluded but close enough to civilsation to enjoy cocktails at sunset. Also where might be best to get some last minute bargains? I like the sound of Ko Tarutao/Ko Lipe and Ko Chang/Ko Kood - where would the weather be better at this time of year? I've never been to south east asia before and would been keen to hear from people who have.
Thanks!!

#1 BV2011 has been a member since 7/4/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by Thomas922 on 8/4/2011 at 03:10

It is hot at that time and both locations you mentioned will be fine. But Ko Lipe and Koh Chang are both popular islands. Lipe is much smaller. Koh Chang has more options as far as getting away from the more crowded beach but there are little pluses and minuses for both spots.

#2 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Instagram 

Posted by allykat on 8/4/2011 at 18:31

I would recommend Ko Lanta too. The plus of Ko Lanta is that you can get to the island in pretty much all weather due to the car ferries. So you are less reliant on the smaller boats to get on and off the island. Plus its a nice place. I have been there 2 times now and loved it both times.

#3 allykat has been a member since 23/11/2009. Posts: 24

Posted by Thomas922 on 9/4/2011 at 03:54

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

#4 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Instagram 

Posted by busylizzy on 9/4/2011 at 06:38

There's a cool interactive weathermap on this site: http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php that you might find helpful.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by swag on 9/4/2011 at 07:40

hi as thomas said its very hot that time of year. I have stayed on Lipe/Chang/Lanta/Mak etc and enjoyed all for different reasons. Chang is big and pretty developed, Lipe is a little harder to get to but apart from the main beach plenty of places to find some solitude with quiet drinks at night. Lanta I loved the all the curries as its predominately muslim and Long beach etc plenty of places to wander away by yourselves. Personally you might like to look at Koh Mak easy to get either slow or fast boat from Chang and some great quiet spots. You might like to look at a/c though which is going to bump the prices up. Not sure of your budget or interests so any other questions ask away.
cheers
swag

#6 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by BV2011 on 13/4/2011 at 02:49

Thanks for all the advice!! I think we've opted for hopping between Ko Chang, Ko Kood and Ko Mak - good tip that swag!! Seems easy enough to get to from Bangkok so can maximise chilling out time! Apart from that I'm interested in taking a cookery class so any recommendations much appreciated - likewise for places to stay with mid-range budget :)

#7 BV2011 has been a member since 7/4/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by swag on 13/4/2011 at 05:55

hi there couple of yeasr ago my wife and I had a couple of fabulous meals at Ko Ti. Went back and did a day cooking school and really enjoyed it. Run by a girl called Ning with her mother overseeing it all. Had a great day. The place is right at the south end of Khlong Prao Beach which is the second main beach as you head down the island towards Bang Bao for the jump off to Mak and Kood.well worth it in you are on Chang.
cheers
p.s well worth looking at Chai Chet bungalows on Chang listed here.They have added a great pool good mid range option.Big concrete cool bungalows on the headland under shade are the go.Numbers 1-6 I think.On Mak stayed at Koh Mak resort but have noticed there prices have jumped in the last couple of years

#8 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by peter27 on 15/4/2011 at 18:26

However Phuket is the top beachdestination. But if you are looking for peaceful vacation then thereare many islands near it where you can enjoy quiet beaches and relax.Koh Lone, Koh Nakha Noi and Koh Si-re are few of them to name.

#9 peter27 has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 31

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.