Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which islands are best at end of April? Last minute trip on the cards

• BV2011

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011

Dear all,
    Do you have any tips on which islands would be best to visit at the end of April. We're looking for somewhere away from the crowds, quiet and secluded but close enough to civilsation to enjoy cocktails at sunset. Also where might be best to get some last minute bargains? I like the sound of Ko Tarutao/Ko Lipe and Ko Chang/Ko Kood - where would the weather be better at this time of year? I've never been to south east asia before and would been keen to hear from people who have.
    Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 22:08

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

It is hot at that time and both locations you mentioned will be fine. But Ko Lipe and Koh Chang are both popular islands. Lipe is much smaller. Koh Chang has more options as far as getting away from the more crowded beach but there are little pluses and minuses for both spots.

#2 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 03:10

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

I would recommend Ko Lanta too. The plus of Ko Lanta is that you can get to the island in pretty much all weather due to the car ferries. So you are less reliant on the smaller boats to get on and off the island. Plus its a nice place. I have been there 2 times now and loved it both times.

#3 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 18:31

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

#4 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 03:54

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

There's a cool interactive weathermap on this site: http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php that you might find helpful.

#5 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 06:38

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi as thomas said its very hot that time of year. I have stayed on Lipe/Chang/Lanta/Mak etc and enjoyed all for different reasons. Chang is big and pretty developed, Lipe is a little harder to get to but apart from the main beach plenty of places to find some solitude with quiet drinks at night. Lanta I loved the all the curries as its predominately muslim and Long beach etc plenty of places to wander away by yourselves. Personally you might like to look at Koh Mak easy to get either slow or fast boat from Chang and some great quiet spots. You might like to look at a/c though which is going to bump the prices up. Not sure of your budget or interests so any other questions ask away.
    cheers
    swag

#6 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 07:40

• BV2011

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011

Thanks for all the advice!! I think we've opted for hopping between Ko Chang, Ko Kood and Ko Mak - good tip that swag!! Seems easy enough to get to from Bangkok so can maximise chilling out time! Apart from that I'm interested in taking a cookery class so any recommendations much appreciated - likewise for places to stay with mid-range budget :)

#7 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 02:49

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi there couple of yeasr ago my wife and I had a couple of fabulous meals at Ko Ti. Went back and did a day cooking school and really enjoyed it. Run by a girl called Ning with her mother overseeing it all. Had a great day. The place is right at the south end of Khlong Prao Beach which is the second main beach as you head down the island towards Bang Bao for the jump off to Mak and Kood.well worth it in you are on Chang.
    cheers
    p.s well worth looking at Chai Chet bungalows on Chang listed here.They have added a great pool good mid range option.Big concrete cool bungalows on the headland under shade are the go.Numbers 1-6 I think.On Mak stayed at Koh Mak resort but have noticed there prices have jumped in the last couple of years

#8 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 05:55

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

However Phuket is the top beachdestination. But if you are looking for peaceful vacation then thereare many islands near it where you can enjoy quiet beaches and relax.Koh Lone, Koh Nakha Noi and Koh Si-re are few of them to name.

#9 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 18:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Last minute trip to the Islands!! ... By wgiles1 on 24 Nov 2008 1 1287 24 Nov 2008
Last minute trip advice ... By nicnak13 on 22 Jul 2013 13 2410 9 Aug 2013
Last minute trip - 10 days - What to do? ... By andyb83 on 29 Nov 2010 2 1408 2 Dec 2010
Last minute advice for trip needed ... By travelinchen on 19 Jul 2011 14 2850 23 Jul 2011
last minute trip to Hanoi 31-07-2009 ... By cencia on 31 Jul 2009 0 1487 31 Jul 2009