Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Low Key Accommodation in Chiang Rai and Surrounds

• samed21

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2011

Hi there

After viewing many posts, my boyfriend and I have decided to spend much of our allocated week or so of travel through Northern Thailand in Chiand Rai and surrounding villages. We have found some nice accommodation in Old's Tree House but was wondering if there is anything else along this sort of line- in terms of being away from mass tourists, a laidback/treehouse vibe yet reliable place to stay?

Also if there are any other suggestions for good backpackers accommodation through the Laos region it would be greatly appreciated. The plan is to get away from the high rise touristy feel of hotels and to get amongst a more authentic or laid back feel of backpackers (also preferably not packed to the brim with people). Not sure if this is too picky but we don't really know and would appreciate any helpful hints!

#1 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 07:09

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I was already going to recommend Thaton before I got through reading your post. There are a few simple guesthouses right along the Kok river next to the bridge and it's a low-key setting with just enough to cater for foreign visitors with simple needs (or you stay at Thaton Chalet for hi-so amenities). You can spend a day walking up the adhjacent hill loaded with giant Buddhas and big pagoda on top, and go to/from Thaton/Chiang Rai city by boat. Small town nice setting.

Other recommendations: Go past Pai to Soppong (aka "Pang Mapha") and stay at the Aussie/Burmese Cave Lodge or go to Chiang Dao and stay at Swiss/Thai-operated Malee Nature Bungalows. Both are pristine nature spots with a modicum of necessities at local shops and a decent set of eat/drink options.

Then make your way to Chiang Khong on the border and get a bus from Huay Xai inland to Vieng Phoukha or slightly bigger Luang Namtha and maybe a side-trip to Muang Sing and then super-small Muang Long down the opium corridor to Xieng Kok. Easy to get off the beaten path by avoiding the daily slow boat run to Luang Prabang, with the Namtha or Nam Ou river alternatives. Then there's Vang Vieng to reckon with...

#2 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 15:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.