Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Islands

• ltran

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2011

Hey Y'all,

I'm leaving for Southeast Asia in 2 weeks and planning to spend a week in Thailand. I know there's a lot of islands along the coast of Thailand. I was wondering what is the best island to visit. I really want to avoid the overly touristy areas - ie. Ko Phi Phi. What would you recommend for a couple that wants a couple of days of great food, amazing scenery and some quiet time.

Linda

#1 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 02:57

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're only going to be in Thailand for one week, Koh Samet would be the quickest and easiest place to get to, unless you fly to Koh Samui. Otherwise, Koh Chang, Koh Mak, or Koh Wai in Trat Province would also be good bets. Koh Samet is closer, though. If you aren't going to fly around, these are the closest to Bangkok. One day to get there and one day to get back.

One week is not a lot of time in Thailand, so these islands might be some of the most time-efficient to visit.

Of course, if you fly to Koh Samui, you could be there in a matter of hours.

#2 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 06:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Good advice from Tilapia above. With only a week to spend, Koh Samet is close to Bangkok and has good beaches and good variety. Should you go to Samet, best to arrive midweek to avoid the crowds of weekenders from Bangers. If you are willing to spend a bit more time getting to/from a place, then Koh Chang or Koh Maak are good choices too.

By the way, where else will you be going on your southeast Asia trip? There are good islands and/or beaches other places too that might fit your bill. Regards.

#3 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 11:17

• ltran

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2011

Thanks for your advice! I was thinking of Ko Samui to replace Ko Phi Phi . Thailand is the 3rd leg of my trip (I'll be in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap & Ho Chi Minh prior). I was hesitate with Ko Phi Phi but it worked well with conjunction with our 4th & 5th leg (being Malaysia 7 Singapore). We were going to fly out of Phuket. Do you think this is still possible if I decide to go to Ko Samui?

#4 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 11:34

• thisis_pat

Click here to learn more about thisis_pat
    Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2011
    Location Thailand

May I recommend Surin Island at Phanga Province, the best place for snorkeling. For scuba, Similan Island is awesome.Both are marine national parks so, I am sure that you won't face crowd of tourists.

Cheers
    Pat
    http://www.bangkokdiscover.com

#5 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 21:01

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

If you want to avoid an overly tourist area than I would say skip Samui. Koh Phangan is less touristy and accessible by flying through Koh Samui.

There are some great islands in Ranong and Phangnga that are beautiful and do not see a lot of tourists.

Surin and the Similans will be closed by May so unfortunately you will be unable to visit them, as recommended above.

#6 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 11:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.