Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How To Travel: Langkawi --> Phi Phi ??

• hmelvi01

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

Need some straightforward information about the best route from Langkawi to Koh Phi Phi. Will be heading up through Malaysia and Thailand in late May.

Also - Good recommendation for place to stay in Phi Phi? Away from crowds, still scenic, and overall good value/budget.

#1 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 11:16

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

#2 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 12:06

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

From time to time there are other ferries available but your other main option would be to go back to land and go north up into Krabi province.

#3 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 12:08

• nedz

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Hi, I got a ferry from lankawi, needed passport to buy ticket, to Saturn, got a lift into town and hired a car with driver,off the side of the road, was a old bomb, awsome trip in the rain with one wiper to trang, stayed couppla nites,. got mini bus to ko Lanta, few days then ferry to ko phi phi...then Krabie....on Phi Phi heard about sailing boats that do lankawi to phi phi/ phuket........sounded great... worth checking it out, i thought.
    On Phi Phi, once you get there, there is travel place near the dock selling rooms for all sorts of places.....they may show you something remote you like and they may have a pick up service for you and your bags, otherwise...be wary of booking and paying for what you dont want. cheers, Nedzx

#4 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 19:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ive done the direct speedboat trip to Ko Lipe - any accommodation or trip agent on Langkawi will be able to organise. Emigration/immigration done at the Langkawi harbour and in an office behind the arrivals beach on Ko Lipe.

Now Tigerline says it can take you all the way from Langkawi to Phi Phi.
    Might not work out that way - Tigerline was not doing the first leg when I travelled admittedly early in the season. Worse, I think they shut down the Lipe to Ph Phi boats before late May.
    I think SPB speedboats also stop running north.

No worries. Catch the big fast public ferry from Langkawi to Thammalang pier south of Satun in southern Thailand. Get up to town and grab a bus for Krabi (note I found no buses after about 1600 a few years ago). From Krabi take one of the regular ferries for Phi Phi.

Even if you get the first ferry out of Satun I doubt you will make the last ferry to Phi Phi. But Krabi town is a interesting place to stay the night. Chan Cha Ley is one of several good value guest houses close to the riverside night food markets.

Nice flahspacker on the laid back and sheltered east coast of Phi Phi is Relax Resort. But isolated if you want to get into town to shop or party.
    Within a 25 minute walk to town - Viking on its own little bay had some nice new flashpacker style bungalows when I went by last June.
    Within 5 minutes walk to town - Sand Sea View right down the far western end of the pier beach in an unexpectedly nice section of sand and water, where I stayed last June. Turn hard left off the ferry.

#5 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 20:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.