Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Udon Star Hotal in Udon Thani - Beware of thieves!!!

Posted by immi on 21/4/2011 at 12:34

Just a warning for anyone thinking to stay in Udon Thani:

Stayed @ Udon Star (not listed on Travelfish) for 5 days and generally really liked the place.
Until we had 3000 THB stolen out of the in-room safe (cash got most likely fished out using a hook through the gap at the bottom of the safe)!!!
We immediately reported the incident to the owner. His reaction was friendly at first and he promised to get back to us the next day. However he did not and left for Bangkok without any further action! No word of refund or other assistance.
He obviously does not care about the safety of his establishment.

#1 immi has been a member since 14/9/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 21/4/2011 at 14:14

immi
What can he do? He can shake down the maid and see if she'll fess up. If it wasn't her, or she says it wasn't, he's got about as much evidence as you've got. He should have contacted you before he left to ask "what can I do?" But realistically there isn't much he can do.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by caseyprich on 21/4/2011 at 14:23

No word of refund or other assistance.

I've never known a SE Asian accommodation that offered to be responsible for valuables - usually they have a sign that says they will not be responsible - even if they offer a safe. Chances are the owner left because he saw this situation was going to be trouble and didn't want to deal with it - seriously.

However, I hope it hasn't hit your budget too hard, and that you don't have anymore trouble on your trip.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 21/4/2011 at 15:00

And you have to remember, anyone can come to him and say they had cash ripped off in an effort to get the owner to hand over money or give them a discount on the bill. How does he know you lost money? Because you told him? You can see his problem I'm sure.

Like Casey, hope it didn't dent your budget too much.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by SBE on 21/4/2011 at 15:00

Chances are the owner left because he saw this situation was going to be trouble and didn't want to deal with it - seriously.

Agree, it's a face thing OP.

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,003
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 21/4/2011 at 16:26

"(cash got most likely fished out using a hook through the gap at the bottom of the safe)!!!"

Was the cash loose in the bottom of the safe? Maybe this is a lesson for everyone else - make sure your cash is inside something big and bulky.

Personally, I have never relied on the safes. I much prefer to carry cash on me - and rely on my backpack padlocks for netbook and other stuff that I leave in the room. I know that the padlocks aren't foolproof either, but I still prefer them. And I never leave stuff lying around in the room that indicates I have something of value (chargers, cables, etc).

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 21/4/2011 at 20:41

"Personally, I have never relied on the safes. I much prefer to carry cash on me"

You were reading my mind Liz.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by immi on 27/4/2011 at 12:40

I agree with all of you that we have been a little bit careless. Safes always give you a false sense of security.
We did not seriously expect a refund, but we would expect the management to assist us with reporting the incident to the (tourist-)police just to show the people working there that incicents like these will be handled with the necessary importance.
That the management did not do this shows that they obviously don't care. They might be afraid to involve the police for various reasons, but it would certainly send a message to the dishonest staff.

#8 immi has been a member since 14/9/2008. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.