Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Backpack size - 3 weeks

• Miss_Stead

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

Hi, I have bought a 35l backpack for three weeks travelling (staying in hotels). Is this big enough?

#1 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 22:59

• Advertisement

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

35L is quite small but if you pack light and do not expect to buy anything to take home you will be ok

#2 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 00:43

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I travel with a 45L, and it seems a little full sometimes at the end of the trip. Probably because I pack an extra big book or two, will cram a fleece into it, all while at the end of a trip where I've got some purchases packed into it. However, that is always without opening the extension at the top.

You'll really only need 1 week of clothing maximum - and if you're staying in hotels you could easily get away with 5 days, as their laundry service will likely be very fast. Along with that you will be staying in hotels so you could risk not bringing a towel - or buy a travel towel that will role up small. But you can probably make it on 35L if as stevejames says you don't plan to purchase too much, you've kept your accouterments to a minimum, and you don't bring that second pair of jeans.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 05:33

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

If it weren't for my camera gear, I could probably fit everything into my 30 liter daypack. It will be a tight fit but it is possible. I would have very little extra space, if any. So 35-40 liters is about right. Some people prefer to take larger packs (50 liters and bigger) because they want to have lots of extra room. I belong to the small and light is best.

See here for some tips.

http://www.travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm

#4 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 06:00

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Pack all your gear into it and find out! :-)

#5 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 10:52

• Miss_Stead

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

Thank you all....i read somewhere online (but cant recall the website) that 35l was fine, then it arrived and a friend said it would be too small. I was planning on packing lite and doing laundry along the way. My reason for getting a smaller bacg was so that I could keep it close to me when travelling around to stop teh risk of anyone getting their sneaky little fingers into it!! I have read that its pretty cheap to get additional bags alogn the way so I guess if it does get a bit cramped I can always buy a shoulder bag of some sort.

#6 Posted: 28/4/2011 - 21:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What size backpack should i take to SEA ... By skg5589 on 12 Jan 2011 4 6815 23 Jan 2011
Better backpack size for a woman. ... By nerja on 6 Nov 2011 6 4708 7 Nov 2011