Thailand forum

Route questions: Samui-Chumphon-Pattaya

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I'm heading back to Thailand with my boyfriend in June and the places we want to visit, in a rough order, will be Bangkok-Phuket-Phi Phi-Samui-Pattaya-Koh Samet-Bangkok. Obviously some of the distances are quite big and while we're up for the night train/mini bus from Bangkok-Phuket at the start of the trip, we'll stop off in some places in between Samui and Pattaya on the way back up.

I have a few questions:
    1) What is the best route from Samui to Pattaya in terms of most interesting places to stop off along the way and getting as much travelling done as possible in as few days as possible. We don't want to stop at Koh Phangan or Koh Tao, so were considering Chumphon instead...
    2) What is there to do in Chumphon? Can you do a boat trip to Nang Yuan from there?
    3) Is it possible to get from Chumphon to Pattaya, or should we stop somewhere like Hua Hin aswell? Is Hua Hin worth a stop over?

I hope this is all clear :s and look forward to your advice!

#1 Posted: 1/5/2011 - 20:00

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The Chumphon-Prachuap coast is one of the nicest "unseen" parts of the country, and most tourists bypass it for the islands. The southern railway is a nice way to get from point to point, and good stop-overs are Ban Krut (endless quiet beaches and cool hilltop temple), Prachuap Khiri Khan (Burmese fishing town with nice beaches north and south of it and scary monkey temple with awesome views), and Petchaburi (not near the beach but interesting caves and hilltop temples). I'd also consider the Khao Sam Roi Yot national park which has good hikes and scenery, but hooking up transport takes some planning (songthaew from Pranburi maybe). I'm not a fan of Hua Hin or Cha Am, especially when there are these other better options.

You might also check out http://thailivingferry.com a ferry service from Hua Hin to Pattaya. I can't vouch for it personally, but might be an interesting way of avoiding Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 00:59

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Thank you for that answer- I'm really interested to see some of the places you've mentioned. Could you recommend any accomodation in Chumphon? Do you know of anywhere nice with a/c and in the 500-1000thb price range (preferably at the lower end of that bracket!)

#3 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 01:01

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I noticed Lomprayah's fast ferry service out of Chumpon now stops at the Nangyuan pier so it would probably be possible to do a daytrip. Maybe check the website.

Bangkok Air used to fly Samui to the airport just out of Pattaya (U Tapao or similar?)

#4 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 18:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travel from aranya prathet to pattaya, other questions ... By sideflip1 on 16 Oct 2006 5 2660 16 Oct 2006
Tour Route Pattaya / Cambodia /Vietnam ... By kurukafa on 27 Feb 2012 3 2313 3 Mar 2012
Pattaya to Ko Samui ... By huggomartini on 24 Jan 2008 7 7557 25 Jan 2008
Pattaya to Samui or Phangan by ferry ... By Kristi on 30 Nov 2006 3 4027 1 Dec 2006