Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time Backpacker!!!

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hello. basically after a fair bit of advice as this is my first backpacking trip and im abit wary of things. I'm hoping to start my trip between july and september, Travelling through Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia, i would like some advice on Where should i start first and also what month to start off in?
    I have did a fair bit of research and came up with this:

Thailand: Bangkok, Chiang mai, Kanchanaburi, Ko Samui, Phuket, Phi Phi island.

Malaysia: Penang, Langkawi, Kuala lumpa, Melaka then through to Singapore.

Indonesia: Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Surabaya, Bali.

I would like to no if these are worth while or get better suggestions, im interested in finding out about the different cultures, Foods, Scenery and ofcorse beaches, please give as much advice as possible it will be much appreciated :)
    Ps, Im also starting to worry a fair bit about the malaria factor and chances of catching it?

Mike. 23. Male

#1 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 02:34

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Sounds like you need a guide book like SEAsia on a shoe string. Look at highlights and example routes. Look at the sections on Travelfish for each country. Until you know exactly what your working budget is there is no need for such broad questions. The answers you seek have been answered on Travelfish/Thorn Tree/ and tons of places. The places you mentioned are all well travelled. If that is where you want to go then go. Other people opinions on each place will vary and there is no "perfect" trip Just go, keep a general guideline, stay loose on your plans. Having enough money will allow that. Get shots and travel insurance and no the 99% of us didn't get Malaria but that doesn't mean jack to someone else.

#2 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 03:14

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Look at the table titled "Malaria prophylaxis for South East Asia" over here
    http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/malaria.htm

It looks like you don't need malaria prophylaxis for the places to which you are going.

A travel MD will be in the best position to advise you.

#3 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 09:03

• laurenladky

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2011

Prioritize places you absolutely want to go - and leave a lot more room for last minute changes in plans. You will meet a lot of people and your itinerary will change!

July - September tends to be rainy but on the positive side - Rooms are much cheaper!

#4 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 12:35

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Minor suggestion - think about doubling back through places or not. You've got a good bit of time planned and sometimes it's nice to stop back in to somewhere after you've left so that you feel as if you're 'coming home' in the middle of a long trip. Just a thought.

#5 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 14:29

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

" sometimes it's nice to stop back in to somewhere after you've left so that you feel as if you're 'coming home' in the middle of a long trip. "

That is so true, Casey!!

#6 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 10:30

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Excellent point indeed and I never really realized it until Casey wrote it.

Great, for a change, to know where your favorit cafe, restaurant or GH is upon arrival. Makes for a great resting point during your travels.

#7 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 11:43

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I think that's why I like Pakse so much while most people don't give it much of a second thought. I ended up stopping there three times in my 3 weeks in Southern Laos.

#8 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 12:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First time backpacker ... By rossm18 on 6 Apr 2014 9 949 7 Apr 2014
First time solo backpacker in SEA ?? ... By Intrepid82 on 29 Jul 2009 2 4689 29 Jul 2009
First time Backpacker to Laos ... By wengchun on 9 Aug 2011 4 3042 29 Sep 2011
First time backpacker to Cambodia ... By juulie on 13 May 2006 12 3856 1 Jun 2006
First-time backpacker to Cambodia, need some advice! ... By NatetheGreat092 on 9 Sep 2013 52 5445 20 Sep 2013