Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

JUNE/JULY Weather help

• danielleand-
    mike

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Hey, we will be travelling Thailand from mid June through to Mid July after having been travelling Laos and Vietnam.
    We have read so many blogs/weather forecast site/yearly averages for the 'wet season' in Thailand.
    Are main worries are about places we want to visit being closed due to it being th e'low season'
    We plan (hope) to visit - Huahin
    - Ko Samui
    - Phuket
    - Phi Phi
    Has anyone visited these places at this time of yur and experienced any problems??

Also a bit off the subject but i read somewhere that the rainy season is the high season for mosquitos does this mean we have to take malaria tablets?? we have been given a course of Doxycicline for when we will be travelling Laos and Vietnam but the doctor assured us that we dont need them for thailand.
    Thanks
    p.s i love this website its amazing!!

#1 Posted: 8/5/2011 - 08:39

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

It will be high season in Samui. Each side of the south has a different low season, which is the monsoon. Phuket and Phi Phi will be at the start of it, although usually it doesn't get bad until August or even September. But given the recent weather there is no way to tell what it will be like on either side.

As for Malaria, this is usually not found in the south although there have been a few cases. Dengue Fever is what you should be worried about. There is nothing you can take to prevent this, just be sure to use your mosquitoe repellent.

#2 Posted: 8/5/2011 - 11:48

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Check out TF's weather map here: http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

#3 Posted: 8/5/2011 - 15:19

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I was in Thailand with my boyfriend at exactly the same time last year, and will actually be there at exactly the same time again this year (June 14th-July 26th). As guava_girl said, Phi Phi and Phuket (on the Andaman coast) will be wetter than any islands on the Gulf coast, such as Samui. My advice would be to hit Phi Phi and Phuket as early as you can, as a lot did change in one month when we were last there! So yeah, try to get to those islands as early in June as possible and expect some rain...but Samui should be nice and sunny at that time!

Also, we didn't take malaria tablets because we were advised that it's not such an issue away from border areas, and especially in the South. If you just take necessary precautions you should be fine, although I wouldn't bother with a mosquito net in Thailand (we lugged ours around for 3 months and unpacked it ONE time...waste of money!), especially if you're going for a/c rooms!

#4 Posted: 8/5/2011 - 15:39

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Check out TF's weather map here: http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

#5 Posted: 8/5/2011 - 15:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.