Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Itinerarie

• DecoyA

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2011

Hey Yall
    Im going toThailand for a month and a half, I plan on spending a bit of time atthe end of the trip in bangkok (for shopping), Time in the north andmaybe time in the north-east.
    My concern, I have spent a bit oftime in Laos, and found myself hating almost every other white person i saw in Vang Vieng (no offence to anyone, I just dont like the whole''buckets of vodka'' and floating down a river listening to Nellywith a bunch of girls with ''****'' written across their chest,thing).
    So im quite hesitant to visiting the southern Islands, but I am quite keen to fly into phuket and make my way up the coast to bangkok to take in the south.
    I want to have a while to relax on the beach but I cant decided between visiting the loud-tourist infected south or the relatively unknown east.
    Please keep in mind that I will be travelling alone, so it would be good to meet other travellers, and im not allergic to a good time, I enjoy a drink, and i don’t wanna spend the time at retiree-resorts its about striking that balance.
    Thanks for your knowledge.
    And please leave your recomendations.
    Luke

#1 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 13:47

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Thailand gets a lot of tourists, it is true. Some are pleasant, some are vile. Some you can happily make friends with, some you want to avoid. One of the things I like about the country is that it is relatively easy to avoid the type of tourist that you don't care for. That goes for pretty much everywhere - including many of the southern islands. OK, some are pretty full on. I haven't been to Ko Samui, but that may be an example. But many other places, with a little bit of research, you can still find peaceful locations away from the madding crowd. Remember, that for most tourists the thing they want most is to be huddled together with lots of other tourists. Even in Thailand, that still leaves plenty of largely untouristed areas to discover.

#2 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 18:28

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Little Ko Chang on the Andaman coast north of Phuket adjacent the Burmese border is pretty relaxed - not very backpackerish.
    Ko Phratong to the south is even more so - I recently put a TRIP REPORT on it in TRAVELFISH'S TRIP REPORTS section.
    Note both are dry season islands and if you are going between now and mid November they should be avoided - very wet and possibly mainly closed down.

I reckon some of the east coast beaches of Phangan would be the go if you are visiting between now and Oct when that area's wet season tends to kick in. Ao Thian (the east coast one) is very relaxing and non-backpackerish.

#3 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 19:20

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Just put a report on LITTLE KO CHANG on the PLACES/SOUTHERNTHAILAND/RANONG page - unlike FORUM posts these don't appear instantly, usually take a day or three.

#4 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 19:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I figured out what you do not like - drunk, obnoxious backpackers floating down a river. But it's not clear to me what you do like. What are you interested in doing / seeing. That would help steer the advice a lt better.

#5 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 20:43

• DecoyA

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2011

Im sorry.
    My postwas a bit vague, I enjoy the company of other tourists, but its the ones who only go overseas for the cheap drinks/drugs/thrills irritate me.
    I guess im looking for more 'hippie' locations, although I wouldent classify myself as a hippie.
    If anyone has been to Luang Probang, that is a town in northern Laos that I am completely in love with.
    It is by no means 'not-touristy' but the travellers there seem a bit more chilled out.
    Im really just looking for some nice islands to relax on, and meet some pleasant people. Enjoy a beautiful foreign place, occupied by a beautiful foreign culture, read, drink,talk, ect.

Im not sure about the start of my trip but I will tell you the itinerary that I am set on so-far.
    I will either fly into Bangkok or Phuket, If I fly into Phuket I would like to make my way immediately to Krabi, then onto Surat Thani and Ko Phanang and Ko Tao (iv been told to skip Ko Samuie) then a boat back to the mainland and a train to bangkok.
    (If I do fly into bangkok and leave the east islands to the end, the trip will starthere), so I want to head north to Chiang Mai on the train, do the north (Pai, Chiang Rai) then double back towards
    Phu Lang Ka (I really wanna check out those bungalows) then further east till im in the north east, and work my way back down south (either to bangkok or tothe eastern islands)

I hope that wasnt too confusing, my question is:
    Do you think that I should fly into Phuket, goto krabi, then to surat thani, ko phanang and ko tao then to bangkok
    Do you think I should fly directly into bangkok and head north leaving the eastern islands to the end of the trip and not seeing the southern islands (please note that I dont know much about the eastern islands compared to the more seasoned southern ones)
    OR, do you think that in 6 weeks that I could visit all these places (start in phuket –bangkok – north – north-east – east islands – bangkok) following the itiniarys above.
    I dont want to have set dates for anything so I was worried that the third option would leave me too rushed.
    Oh I will be going in mid december and getting back late january.

Thanks again.
    Luke

#6 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 23:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam itinerarie ... By traveltiger on 29 Sep 2007 4 3731 30 Sep 2007