Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok airport advice

• esseffe

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2007

We are flying in from Copenhagen SAS and then taking a domestic flight to Chang Mai with Air Asia. How long should i leave between the arrival time of the first flight and the departure of the next? I was thinking three hours but I'm not sure whether we will need to change terminals etc.
    Can anyone help?

thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 12/1/2007 - 19:50

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Three hours will be plenty, though it depends when you're arriving in Thailand as the Thai govt has just yesterday decided to reopen the old airport for all domestic flights only -- from March 15 onwards. There has been no information yet on intra-airport transport -- in good traffic the trip could take 20 minutes, in bad 1-2 hours.

So if you're arriving after March 15, allow 30-45 minutes to get your bags and clear customs/immigration, 20 minutes to 2 hours to get to the other airport and then you need to check in an absolute minimum of 45 minutes beforehand -- though I'd recommend 1.5 hours beforehand.

A lot depends on what solution is used to facilitate intra-airport transport -- once some firmer statements emerge, I'll post more details.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2007 - 07:37

• esseffe

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2007

Wow that is very interesting, unfortunately we arrive on 5th April. I think we'll put off booking that leg of our journey until things are clearer on the flights front. We arrive into BKK around 4pm I think so probably would be hitting the road to transfer between airports during rush hour..fantastic, great introduction to Bangkok to be stuck in traffic eh?

Thanks a million for that info, I was going to book the flights online tonight so I will hold on til there's more info.

Great to be kept so up to date.

Thanks again

#3 Posted: 14/1/2007 - 05:01

• Quero

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2007

Hang on! This is not an across-the-board transfer of ALL domestic flights back to Don Muang. Check this post on ThaiVisa.

#4 Posted: 17/1/2007 - 07:10

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I read in the Bangkok Post that only three airlines would be switching back to Don Muang, and one of them was Air Asia. So, if this stays the course, you will have to get to the other airport for your connecting flight.

Depending on when you land, you may have time to get to the other airport. But if you could give yourself a bit more time (more than three hours, anyway), or one night in Bangkok, you'll give yourself a lot more breathing room.

Good luck.

#5 Posted: 23/1/2007 - 01:48

• esseffe

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2007

Thanks, we decided to change our plans and booked our domestic flight with Thai Airways as we read that they will be staying put. Thanks for everyone's input.

E.

#6 Posted: 23/1/2007 - 06:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It is a situation that continues to change. As Quero says, the current plan is for NON-CONNECTING domestic flights to be shifted to the old airport, while connecting domestic flights will remain at the new airport. But today's Bangkok Post has a story quoting AirAsia as saying they want to move all their flights to the old airport.

#7 Posted: 23/1/2007 - 07:32

• Laura_B

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2006
    Total reviews: 12

Does anyone know what airport Nok Air uses? I have a flight from Bangkok to Phuket for Feb 23rd.

#8 Posted: 23/1/2007 - 19:41

• esseffe

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2007

I think from the above that everyone uses the new airport until March so your February 23rd flight should be fine from the new airport.

#9 Posted: 23/1/2007 - 21:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, esseffe is correct -- you should definitely be flying out of the new airport that soon.

#10 Posted: 23/1/2007 - 21:44

• Advertisement

• Red

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2006

Nok Air uses the new airport. I came back from Thailand last Wednesday and they had all their booking in desks etc there.
    I'd give yourself a few hours at least for between flights. I did'nt see anything about opening the old airport as yet. And if they do I'm sure that they will have an airport shuttle bus going between the two airports. And you can always take local buses as we did, and didn't find them hard to get around on. It all depends what time of days you arive as to what the traffic is like. We did take a bus from the new airport one night and it took us 2 hours from airport to Silom Rd (peak Hour).

#11 Posted: 24/1/2007 - 12:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.