Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Advice for 2 Nights/3 Days near Bangkok

• Merrianne

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I will be heading to Thailand for three weeks late May/June. I have a couple of days at the beginning of the trip while I wait for my sister to join me in Bangkok and have researched three travel options for a two night trip. I would love your feedback on which of these possibilities you think would be best for a weekend bit of travel from a Sat-Mon (2 nights, 3 days).

Ayutthaya
    Bang Saen
    Jomtien Beach

I'm an experienced indie traveller and have been to Thailand a few times, but haven't visited any of these places. I like a beach, though not the stereotype of partying that often accompanies it. I run, read, write and wander about when I travel and I have a modest, though not heavily restrictive budget. I'd like to keep things to a max of 600B a night, but would spring for more if the accommodations warranted it. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Any other suggestions for something within 2-3 hours from Bangkok? I did consider Koh Samet, but while lovely, it seems like a little too much travelling for 2 nights... unless someone can convince me that it's better than all the options I've mentioned.

Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards. Merrianne.

#1 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 02:02

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you are going to Jomtien because you are looking for a beach, I'd have to say the water quality isn't very good there, and obviously there are tons of people. If you aren't interested in the other things it has to offer, going just for the beach probably is a waste. Given your time constraints, I'd look at Cha'am instead. Also, I would lop off one destination. You only have a few days, which means hours traveling each of them.

#2 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 10:45

• Merrianne

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2010

Thank you -- I don't want to travel to all three, just one...looking for the best of the lot, I suppose. I'll look into Cha'am. Best.

#3 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 12:04

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

This may be a bit further than you want to go, but Sangkhlaburi is really nice and interesting. It's about hours by minivan from Kanchanaburi . And if you've never been to Kanchanaburi before, it's worth a couple of nights.

Otherwise, from your three choices, I'd go with Ayuthaya.

Cha-am on weekends can be a madhouse with folks from Bangkok.

If you want to try something really different, you can take a train from Wong Wien Yai Station (in Thonburi ... not far across the river from the Flower Market) to Mahachai (amazing seafood town), then continue on another train to Samut Songkhram and then go to Amphawa. A real adventure! You can take the train back, or make it easy and take the bus. You could also take the bus there and then the train back .... which would probably be a bit easier.

Lots of homestays in Amphawa as well as a pretty cool floating market. It's about a 3 hour trip by train and songthaew. It's about an hour by bus from Bangkok. Amphawa is a really nice town. Few westerners, though it attracts quite a lot of Thai tourists.

#4 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 18:55

• Merrianne

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2010

Excellent suggestions. Very much appreciated. All the best.

#5 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 22:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'd have to second Ayudhaya. The boat ride back to Bangkok is pretty cool too.

#6 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 22:37

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

Hua-Hin, Cha-am and Pranburi could also be another choice of yours.... You will be able to enjoy more of beautiful beaches and sunny day

#7 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 14:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
40 days and nights Bangkok to Hanoi? ... By mandor700 on 26 Jun 2009 8 2842 30 Jun 2009
Advice for Bangkok and Chiang Mai in 6 days ... By fel117 on 19 Jul 2012 19 2471 23 Jul 2012
Advice: 6 days Bangkok...and surrounds? ... By christay2009 on 22 Aug 2011 15 1476 23 Aug 2011
iIinerary advice 6 days Chaing Mai and Bangkok ... By jztravels on 4 Mar 2010 1 1634 5 Mar 2010