Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where is the main backpacker scene in Koh Phi Phi

• opaquebh

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

just wondering where the main part is for backpackers i.e best place for parties, hostels and bars best to meet travellers etc ...

Thanks

#1 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 02:13

• Advertisement

• bkkpk

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2011

Tonsai village where the ferry drops you.

#2 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 15:27

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Tonsai is a backpacker town. Just show up. If you can't find bars and packers and hostels........you've already smoked too much.

#3 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 04:51

• opaquebh

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

haha! thanks guys, ha i wont be smoking anything out there bleugh!!

#4 Posted: 20/5/2011 - 21:18

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Seriously. There are hostels and packer places all over town. the central areas are hopping all night with kids. If you stay anywhere within a 15 walk of the main town, you will run into everyone. Some people like certain areas better than others but seriously, everything under 1000 baht is full of backpackers. The town is not that big so..........

http://www.phiphi-booking.com/images/koh-phi-phi-map.jpg

#5 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 10:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Can someone explain this phenomenon to me. Why do people want to travel halfway around the world to hang out with westerners? They can do that at home. Why don't they travel to places where there are no westerners at all, and get to know indigenous people? I can't for the life of me figure that out.

#6 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 11:37

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Its the life of the Yoots (youths). They are not quite ready to make that total dissconnect from everything they know. Also, I can't blame them for seeking out other yoots. They are young, dumb, and full of @##. HAHA! It's like going to a nite club and no one cool is there. You leave. They want to enjoy each other in foreign environs. They want to experience a far away place as safe as possible. They want to experience the new with a touch of the familiar. Most of them aren't PERSONALLY interested in the locals in a poorer country. It would be different if they traveled to another western place. It is what it is. The backpacker tails of yesteryear will remain in our lore. There will never be a time when you were one of the select few. I missed the boat on that too. BUT you can make it happen by going way off the beaten path.
    Ahhh let them have their fun....hell I might sway in the breeze with a cute packer myself next time...

#7 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 12:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hey, it's a free country, they can do what they want. But I must say I' m glad my son hasn't taken that route. Of course, he lives here, and perhaps that is why he is the way he is. Almost all of his friends here are Thai, and he works hard to speak Thai. He has two expat friends here (I have three), but that's it. He wouldn't think of going someplace with a bunch of westerners of any stripe. It wouldn't even occur to him to do so. I guess it's the fundamental difference in both age (I'm old) and length of stay. First time I came to Thailand I was already living with my Thai girlfriend for two years and we spent all 30 days of my leave in her village so I could get to know where she came from and her friends and family. That turned out t be a great experience. The furthest I travelled that trip was to Yasothon city, 30km away. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

#8 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 14:16

• opaquebh

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

erm guys just to you know! i have travelled to south east asia last year and that was a very much cultural visit! in fact i prob spent more time in the most complete non tourist areas lol! im going again but now im going for a year and it will be abit of party and abit of cultural! im also going to west coast america so i will be in western lands!!

its not always about parties i admit but one thing i love doing is meeting new people where western or what ever! i just love having the time of my life, im young and only live once!

#9 Posted: 24/5/2011 - 02:19

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Hey! Re-read my post!

They want to enjoy each other in foreign environs. They want to experience a far away place as safe as possible. They want to experience the new with a touch of the familiar.

I agree with you. I said most are not personally interested in locals....I said MOST not all....as we experience more the most changes with time. I said PERSONALLY interested...that means going past the seeing and surface learning and forming deeper bonds. Not yet. Many (and most including most of us more experienced travelers when we were younger) are excited to meet people from countries that we can actually talk to! As we learn more language AND/OR have more experiences we form deeper bonds with those different from us as our confidence grows and as our world perspective grows.

So OP enjoy yourself. MAC was just thinking out loud. And I understand his POV as well as yours. We all do things our own way. ENJOY! Let us know how it goes. Too many people don't and we look forward to the trip reports and new info...don't forget us!

#10 Posted: 24/5/2011 - 12:01

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well you might consider this option - going to univerisity hang outs. My son is attending Khon Kaen univeristy, so he hangs out in the student quarter there. For a young, white guy, it's heaven.

#11 Posted: 26/5/2011 - 09:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Backpacker-scene in June-August in Thailand, Laos, Cambodja and Vietnam ... By JVermeer on 26 Apr 2012 13 3069 2 May 2012