Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tourist Visa from Penang?

• Andy1979

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi I'm flying into Bangkok May 27th (2011) and unfortunately I don't have time to arrange a tourist visa here in Dubai.

I want to travel around Thailand for about 65 days, so my plan is to fly pretty-much straight to Penang from Bangkok and get a single/double/triple-entry 60-day tourist visa from there. By the way I'm a UK National.

I've looked around on the net for ages but there's alot of out of date information.

Really need to know thankyou!!!

#1 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 03:50

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Check in with Cranky Carrot - he's the resident expert. (Along with a few other posters on this site, of course).

#2 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 03:56

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hmm Cranky seems to have gone walkabout today! He did get his tourist visa OK though.

It's easy enough to get a 60 day tourist visa in Penang. You leave the passport at the Thai consulate in the morning and pick it up the following afternoon. Loads of agents in Georgetown can do the legwork for a small fee if you're feeling lazy. I've only ever got a single entry visa there though, don't know how good they are at delivering multiple entry visas.

#3 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 15:05

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I already replied to a personal message for this info, but I'll do the ol' cut and paste in this forum in case anyone else wants to know. It will give me an excuse to avoid putting any of this in my mouth for a few more seconds...

I don't know about the double/triple entries, but you can def get a single entry visa good for 60 days in the Kingdom from the embassy in Penang.

It'll cost you 110 ringits, 2 passport photos and and a photocopy of your passport. You have to fill out and drop off the application and passport there between 9-12, then go pick it up from about 3-5.

110 ringits is about 25 pounds I think. There's lots of guesthouses in Georgetown nearby, and the cheap ones (20-50rm) are all horrible, so either spend up and stay somewhere decent, or have a quick exit strategy like a return flight to Thailand lined up

cheers

#4 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 16:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The wheat germ drink looks foul. Try a cendol instead - very refreshing and you'll love the slimy bright green wormy things that slide down your throat. Yum!

And have you managed to get a decent laksa down your gob yet?! My mission here is to get you to enjoy some decent local food. I won't give up..... you might as well give in now and get it over with!

#5 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 16:35

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You have to fill out and drop off the application and passport there between 9-12, then go pick it up from about 3-5.

Can you get the visa the same day Cranky? My memory is a bit fuzzy but I seem to remember having to go back next day to pick up my passport? If so, it's even easier getting a visa there than it used to be!

#6 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 17:27

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@Bizzy - I have eaten local food - the Malays do an awesome burger for 3-5rm. Breakfast lunch and dinner, it's burger time all the way!

@SBE - Yes, same day. I should have booked that Firefly flight back to Phuket for $65aud while there were still tickets. I'm giving Malaysia one last chance to win me over. Some tax-free booze on Langkawi ougtha help...

The glass of warm dishwater the girl in this cafe just brought me is certainly not lifting my mood - though it did taste better than the wheat germ. If only I could drink my burgers too :)~

#7 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 17:47

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

PS - No Cendol!

#8 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 17:47

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes I just checked using good old google. I think I must have had to wait a day for a non-imm B visa once and now I think about it, the last time I got a Thai tourist visa there I gave my passport to the agent in Banana Guesthouse Chulia Street, went off for a pleasant stroll in the national park all day, and picked it up that same evening. Sorry about the misinformation by PM Andy.

#9 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 17:53

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS Cranky. Have you noticed they do quite good Indian food in Penang? I had an awesome Indian breakfast waiting for the shopping mall to open once.

#10 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 18:04

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

KL takes two biz days, FYI.

#11 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 18:13

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

PPS Yes I noticed all the Indian food outlets - just as I noticed no one seems too hung up about good hygiene and I'm not looking to contract dysentery.

#12 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 18:23

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Next time you go on an intrepid adventure away from Patong Beach be sure and pop into your local pharmacy prior to departure and purchase some activated carbon/charcoal capsules (they cost about 10B for 10 capsules). Thus you can effectively help yourself (and any other clueless travelers you happen to meet) should diarrhea and flatulence strike after eating something other than a burger from a 7/11! :-)

#13 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 19:11

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I don't like the 7/11 burgers/hotdogs. The one's they cook up at the Malay food stalls are awesome though.

Next time you're down on Lebuh Chulia, try a double egg special from the Old Trafford Burger vendor who hang around outside that Jamaican 'Meeting Point' bar. His burgers could rule the world.

PS Now it's raining heavily in Langkawi I quite like it. Everything's cooled down and there's nothing more soothing than the sound of rain on a tin roof, like the one at this Gecko joint.

#14 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 09:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Cranky - ditch the burgers and try some of these: http://www.gobackpacking.com/Blog/2011/04/26/top-9-malaysian-foods/

Yum!

#15 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 05:43

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Busy - all that stuff looks gross. Meanwhile I had the most delicious burger yesterday...

#16 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 20:09

• aroundthewo-
    rld

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2011

Hey guys,

very useful information!! Just one question: is all this still true now? I heard from some travelers that it is not that easy anymore to get the visa.
    Would be very greatful for an update!!!

#17 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 07:49

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Some travelers" are usually wrong or at least subject to hearsay. Just go get the visa and don't forget to bring two passport-size photos and 110 MYR, also make photocopies of your passport main photo page and Malaysian visa/entry page. There was a heads-up a couple months ago about some consulates requiring proof of air travel out of Thailand, but aside from Phnom Penh it seems none of the SE Asian region consulates are enforcing it. Travel agents on Chulia street in Georgetown may have further info, otherwise just go get it then report back here if you have time (details much appreciated).

#18 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 12:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
thai tourist visa in penang ... By ambersaffron on 22 Nov 2011 3 1621 5 Dec 2011