Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai islands in July

• petromotion

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2011
    Location Ireland

Hello Travelfish peeps!

I will be in Thailand in mid July for a week with my girlfriend. First time going to Thailand - can't wait! From reading some posts, it seems I should head to the Southern Gulf for the least amount of rain. Is this necessarily the case? Or would the weather be similar on the islands in Andaman Sea?

Any recommendations for islands with the best beaches, nicest water? We don't wanna go anywhere too busy - a bit off the beaten track is fine - but would be nice to have some restaurants/bars to hang out in for a while on the evenings. And sleeping in a beach hut would be great too...

Thanks in advance for your advice!

#1 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 13:31

• Advertisement

• laurenladky

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2011

Hi Petromotion,

The South can be a bit of a crap shoot for rain. I've traveled to both Koh Tao and Railay in July and had great weather both times. It rained in Railay in the afternoons. Locals told us we were really lucky but really - if it does rain, it rains in the afternoon mostly. I hear Phuket has a pretty severe rainy season, islands surrounding Koh Lipe are closed and the similans are closed. I would shoot for Railay, Krabi if I were you.. get yourself a hut near the beach on Ton Sai (there are a few beach bars here and a good traveler scene) then talk with other travelers to see where they have gotten the most sunshine. Enjoy! :)

#2 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 18:09

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I think I may have answered you on another forum - as I said there if I really really wanted to see a place in the Andaman I would not let the wetter conditions usually experienced in July stop me. But if I just wanted the best chance of good weather, I would go to the southern Gulf.
    As a point of interest, statistical differences in the Andaman are not a big deal until you start to get to the north of Phuket where it can get real wet.

This is my usual report for that time of year:

JUNE/JULY
    In June/July normally all Thailand except the southern Gulf is in monsoon. The southern Gulf (Samui and neighbours plus adjacent mainland coast) usual wet season is Oct into Jan. I have had some great holidays there mid year - lots of sunshine, a few good storms.

June/July is normally not the worst of the wet season most other places - Sept and OCt tend to be wetter. I know one Phuket expat says the real wet season does not start until sometime in late July or even later. I have had good holidays both midyear and in August in the Andaman. Usually plenty of sunshine, one or more showers/storms per day, quite a few days with no rain or rain only at night, prolonged rainy periods not real common.

My experience of wet season months is that 15-25% of days tend to be blowy which can make west facing beaches and ferry trips unpleasant and longtail snorkelling trips cancel.
    However quite a few wet season days have little or no wind and when the sun's out conditions on those beaches can be as good as anywhere.

"Anywhere I should avoid?".

Well the eastern Gulf around Trat/big Ko Chang is often REAL wet in June - the AVERAGE is over 900mm for the month - I'd hate to be there in a wetter than normal June. For comparison, I think London averages something in the 400s for a YEAR. Nevertheless I've seen plenty of posts from Chang in mid-year talking of good holidays - looks like they still get a fair bit of sunshine, but when it rains it REALLY rains.
    I've also seen a number of posts talking of PEOPLE DROWNING in big surf on Chang. All the main beaches face west into the prevailing winds - when these blow hard for a few days you can get big surf with dangerous rip currents, so take care. Maybe you could read my TIPS ON NOT DROWNING PAGE here http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2007/04/some-tips-on-not-drowning.html
    The Ranong area is also extra wet at around 700mm. I think the tourist attractions there,Ko Phayam and little Ko Chang Andaman side largely close down in the wet season.

BTW, the central Gulf, Ko Samet, Pattaya and Bangkok often get less rain than most areas besides the southern Gulf in JuneJuly.
    As for beaches which match your asks - any beach north of Had Rin up the east coast of Phangan and along the north coast will do the job. Nicest is maybe Bottle Beach - chillest could be Had Wai Nam.
    On Tao the south west beaches plus the east coast ones are the ones to go for.
    In the Andaman some of the most relaxed will be just about closed down in July. One area that isn't but is protected from the sometimes blustery winds is the east coast of Phi Phi.

#3 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 19:40

• rainbow1

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Hey!!

Been to thailand a bunch of times and have experienced the rains!! I would totally recommend KOH Tao, a beautiful island with a very chilled out vibe,The water is clear and its great for snorkeling and diving.Also they do have a bunch of restaurants and bars but its normally not crowded..perfect i think for what you are looking for.

Message me if you need tips/info on places to stay/eat /drink/snorkel.

Similan and Surin are some of the most gorgeous islands i have ever visited but sadly they are shut from the first week of May till the end of Oct.Trust me some other time you must try and visit.

happy travels!!

#4 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 13:17

• petromotion

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2011
    Location Ireland

Thank you all for the great advice!

@Tezza, yes that was me posting on the other forum too [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] The 2nd week I'll be around the central gulf so might check out some places around there then.

@ rainbow1, would be great to get those tips from you about the beaches on Koh Tao, thanks!

#5 Posted: 25/5/2011 - 19:21

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

you can b at beaches in Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngun, Ko Tao where you will see lesser rain comparing to Phuket area .... You can still sun with a bit amount of rain that will last for just 1-2 hours...

#6 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 13:43

• petromotion

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2011
    Location Ireland

cheers yippie65, have decided to head to koh phangan for the first week anyway :)

#7 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 07:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.