Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2 weeks of July in Thailand

• nikunj

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Hi,

I am planning a backpacking trip to thailand for 1st 2 weeks of July. Can anyone suggest me a itinerary which includes both beaches and a little bit of trekking. I don't want to spend all my time in traveling so have to be very selective and since it will be raining all over i don't know which place to select. From what i read till now most of Northern thailand will be under heavy monsoon and even the eastern islands, please correct me if i am wrong and suggestions of any kind will be very useful, i have just started planning and have never been to thailand.

#1 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 11:45

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The lower gulf is usually relatively dry during that time, so do your beach time on Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, Ko Tao. Chiang Mai is busy in July and not necessarily that rainy although the weather has been pretty strange and unpredictable this year. North vs. islands doesn't matter in which order so arrive in Bangkok, find your feet and follow your nose.

#2 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 12:42

• nikunj

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

"find your feet and follow your nose" Love the phrase . Very encouraging reply, thanks for the response. Can you suggest me some place in Bangkok where i can connect with fellow backpackers and get reviews and information about places to go and things to do. Can you also tell me why and how buzzy can it get in Chiang Mai and any specific trek routes i should think about. Also i am guessing i will have to catch local flights to travel around, do i need to book before hand or i can do all that once i am in bangkok.

#3 Posted: 24/5/2011 - 07:16

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

you can b at beaches in Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngun, Ko Tao where you will see lesser rain comparing to Phuket area and Northern Thailand like Chiang Mai.... You can still sun with a bit amount of rain that will last for just 1-2 hours...

#4 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 13:47

• yongin85

Joined Travelfish
    28th May, 2011

I think you should spend time to visit Phuket. The beaches are nice, the sun shining, the white sand...I love Phuket

#5 Posted: 28/5/2011 - 16:25

• pinkyetbrain

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2011
    Location Germany

hey nikunj,

Chiang Mai is not a very busy place. They do have a lot of trekking going on, mostly one day to 7day trips. If you end up in a hostle in Chiang Mai you can be sure to find a lot of information on that matter. I ve been to Chiang Mai but didn't do any trekking. A couple of trekking providers do trips that include visiting tribal villages, which sounds very interesting, but unfortunatly most tribes especially Karen "long neck" tribes will be presented to tourists only for the reason that we pay to see something exsotic. So you should ask yourself if you want to encourage that kind of businiss. Maybe you can find eco tourism trekking providers, I cant help you with that, but I am sure you can find some info in the internet or travel guides. If you do Chiang Mai, be sure to go to the Doi Suthep Mountain close by. There are public mini busses that go up regularly. There is a lovely temple on top of the mountain worth seeing.
    From Bangkok you can take a train to Chiang Mai. Best is to take a night train, either in a sleeper or seated which is also comfi. You need to get the ticket a day or two in advance though and you can't book it from the internet. Trains go from Hualamphong Train Station.

#6 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 19:51

• nikunj

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Hi pinkyetbrain,

thanks so much for the very helpful reply, i will make sure this temple is part of my plans. And as far as trekking goes i am not looking for a complete pre planned guided trips, i am looking more on the lines of meeting a few like minded people and venture one of the scenic trek routes....i have seen how lot of these pre planned treks operate in India...not a big fan of those....and yes once i land up in a hostel i am sure i will find lot of information....Good to know it takes a day or two to get these tickets...first thing i do in bangkok is book tickets for these trains to make sure i dont spend too much time in the city....
    This website has very helpful information about everything...hats off to all the people who made it so good.....

#7 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 07:54

• ThailandDia-
    ries

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand

"Can you suggest me some place in Bangkok where i can connect with fellow backpackers and get reviews and information about places to go and things to do. "

Khaosan Rd is where many backpackers head to, a crazy place and a must! Avoid Adaman side of Thailand, very wet.

#8 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 18:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Northern Thailand in July (3 weeks) ... By DrNugu on 1 Jun 2011 2 1702 2 Jun 2011
Thailand for 2 weeks in May/June/July 2013 ... By lisanolan2204 on 10 Aug 2012 5 4074 21 Aug 2012