Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where to go - Phuket or Ko Samui in June???

• alancolorado

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2011

My wife and i were married last year and we're taking a quick 2 1/2 week break to Thailand in June. Were planning to stay in BKK for a couple days, then head north to Chang Mai for about 4 days and would spend the remaining 7-10 days either in 1)Phuket, Krabi, Ko phi phi areas, or we could do 2) Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngun, Ko Tao.

We're hearing great things about both southern areas and were hoping to get some feedback or recommenations on what might be a better spot to visit down south. Overall we're looking for the basics, nice beaches, basic hiking and waterfall activities, and decent night life, but are somewhat limited on time. Any thoughts on what might be the better location?

#1 Posted: 26/5/2011 - 05:40

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The Samui/Phangan/Tao side tends to have better weather that time of year. Its wet season is normally Oct into Jan whereas the Andaman is already into its wet season. That's not to say you wont get a good holiday in the Andaman - I have always had enough sun for the beach and never lost a full day to rain (although it can happen). But I've always got better weather the other side of the isthmus.

One plus of the Andaman is being low season there are some seriously good deals offered on the accomm booking sits for real nice places.
    Better weather means June is shoulder season on the other side - although places are not as expensive as in July and August which tend to be a second high season for the southern Gulf.

#2 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 11:26

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

i would recommend you to visit Samui area.... as the weather will be warmer.... Though you may see some rain but will not be as much as that in Phuket.

#3 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 13:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.