Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Train 69, Bangkok to Nong Khai

• Boulos

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2011

Hi,

I would like to buy a ticket for the train 69 going from Bangkok to Nong Khai. I read the seat 61 advice, but still wanted to ask you.

1- If I buy it through an agency, the extra fees will be very high. Isn't possible to buy it online directly without paying any fee? Further, would it be possible to pick up the ticket at the train station? I will have to take the train on the same day I am arriving to Bangkok

2- I try to send an email to the passenger-ser@railway.co.th , but they seem to take a lot of time to answer. Is it reliable?

3- Is it possible to call the train station and reserve a ticket?

Thank you very much for your help

Boulos

#1 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 16:59

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey there -you'll find lots of useful info here: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

#2 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 17:16

• Remedy

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

I've taken the train several times from Bangkok, and I've always bought the ticket on the train station a couple of hours before the train leaves.
    Is your reason for pre-buying it is because you have serious time constraints and desperately need to leave at a certain time? If so I'm unsure as whether trains fill up (I've never experienced this). But if it's not the end of the world to wait a couple of hours ( or a day at most ) I would say the most hasslefree way is to just buy the ticket in person.

Cheers,

#3 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 02:03

• Boulos

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2011

I actually arrive in Bangkok at 8am. Of course, the best for me would be to go directly to the train station and buy a ticket.

However, I read on some forums that if I wait to buy on the day, most probably, I will not find any places for sleepers coaches, but only hard seat third class.
    Do you think that this is accurate?

Thank you very much

#4 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 02:54

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Boulos,

If you're going to be traveling during a holiday, such as Christmas or New Year, or any of the Thai holidays, then it is very unlikely that you'll get a sleeping berth on the day you arrive.

Last year I had a friend in Bangkok trying to get me a couple of tickets to Nong Khai for 5-6 weeks prior to my arrival between Christmas and NYE. The best she was able to do was January 4th, about a week after I arrived. Every single train going in just about every direction during that time was completely full.

Who knows? You might get lucky. Someone may not show up.

If you're not traveling during a peak travel time, then you'll probably be alright.

Otherwise, rather than waiting around all day, if you can't get a ticket you might just want to head to Morchit and get a bus. You'll get there even sooner. It's around 9-10 hours.

Or, fly to Udon Thani. You won't even have to leave the airport. It's an hour flight!

#5 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 04:27

• miangkem

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

I've definitely seen sleeper berths fill up on non-holidays, and I've also taken the last sleeper berth the morning of my departure, on a weekday. I wouldn't count on getting a sleeping berth buying the ticket on the same day. I would count on being able to get some kind of ticket. I've ridden 2nd class tickets on the ordinary express train from Nong Khai to Bangkok, and it's a very different experience -- crowded, noisier, and a different smell, though still possible to sleep. The website was the best way to get tickets, but I've also bought them from Traveller2000 and remember the added fee as being very reasonable. I believe they can leave the ticket at the station for you. If you do book your ticket in advance, I would recommend asking for a lower 2nd class berth to get the long window.

#6 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 05:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok – Nong Khai train question. ... By kif on 15 Sep 2010 3 3038 16 Sep 2010
BKK train to Nong Khai, stopping at Ayutthaya ... By textibule on 21 Dec 2010 2 2996 21 Dec 2010
Avoid Train From Nong Khai To Thalang!!! ... By Naturepunk324 on 25 May 2011 1 2245 25 May 2011
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3772 19 Feb 2010
Nong Khai and Surrounds ... By morroco on 1 Mar 2013 2 1416 2 Mar 2013
Aranyaprathet to Nong Khai ... By Layabout on 22 Jul 2008 2 6077 23 Jul 2008
Bus from Nong Khai to Mukdahan ... By think87 on 14 Jul 2012 7 2313 15 Jul 2012
Nong Khai to Sukothai ... By swag on 23 Oct 2007 1 3958 23 Oct 2007
POIPET to NONG KHAI ... By steffanmathias on 7 Jun 2010 1 3461 7 Jun 2010
Between Nong Khai and Ayyutthaya ... By Architeuthis on 30 Sep 2009 4 3495 1 Oct 2009