Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where are the best Bangkok street vendors?

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I remember my first night in Singapore and Malaysia being completely at a loss as to where I could find some good, cheap food! Can anyone point me in the right direction for Bangkok street food? Or is it everywhere?

#1 Posted: 28/5/2011 - 21:27

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say that great street food is everywhere, but also that some places are better than others.

See Travelcook's question (a couple of posts below yours) for info on some of the areas, particularly Sao Chingcha (Thanon Tanao and Thanon Dinso).

Personally, despite their popularity, I think that the food stalls on and around KSR, for the most part, are awful. I don't include Thanon Phra Athit or Phra Sumen, or the little spot at the top of Soi Rambuttri with these places, though, as each area has its gems.

#2 Posted: 28/5/2011 - 22:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Great" and "Street food" is an oxymoron. In everything in life, you get what you pay for. There is abundant street food here, which to a non-discriminating palate that finds the food novel, might be considered "great." But it ain't. It's edible, for the most part.

#3 Posted: 28/5/2011 - 22:45

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

You can find bad food at expensive restaurants. Most Thai street food I've tried was just ok. Some of it was pretty good.

The best place to start looking would probably be the wet markets.

#4 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 10:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Goonstick
    Absolutely. But in general, there is a direct relationship between how much you spend for something and what the quality of that thing is. I eat street food, because it's cheap. But it definitely isn't fine dining.

#5 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 12:58

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

#6 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 13:50

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the comments!
    I'm definitely not looking for fine dining at a street vendor price, just tasty cheap food! I think, in this case, 'greatness' is all relative. You can obviously have a great dish served on the street that won't be anything like a great dish served in a restaurant, but what I'm looking for is advice on how to find the best of the cheap (i.e. places people have a good experience with).
    Thanks for the link goonistik :)

#7 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 16:06

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Riedez

I hope you take a look at the other post by travelcook and that is mentioned by Tilapia. The link is here.
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/14689_native-dishes-of-bangkok-and-thailand

There are a few more links and suggestions there. The migrationlogy website also has a few suggestions.

I found this thread at chowhound.
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/566631

On facebook, there is a page for Cheap Eats Bangkok. You can look at their photos and their map.
    Here is a link to their map
    http://bit.ly/mHUEtO

#8 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 18:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Can't help you much concerning Bangkok. But in most provincial cities, I have found the night markets have the best selection of decent street food.

#9 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 18:48

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

As Tipalia says, street food is everywhere, but in my opinion it is best outside of Bangkok, in the night markets that come to life in almost every little provincial town (just like MADMAC says). In Bangkok, however, I look for the indoor food courts that are typically on the upper floors of most shopping centers. The food is only slightly more expensive, but in my experience higher quality and certainly generally cleaner/safer (if only because of less dust and vehicle exhaust). Good variety and a fun, local atmosphere at those indoor food courts too. Give them a look. Cheers.

#10 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 22:50

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Exacto
    Funny you should mention that. Just last week I was in Bangkok and went to one of those food courts at a mall in Mo Chit. The food was surprisingly good and reasonably priced. Ambience was a little short though.

#11 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 00:31

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

There's a place on Soi Rambuttri on the left hand side past the first 7-11. Its basically a VW camper van that parks on the side of the street. The lads there open up the back of it and have a big flat screen TV there where they show the footy and other sports. They set up loads of little tables and chairs and they sell beer and cocktails at cheap prices (70 baht for a large Chang or Leo). A few metres up the road from them is a Pad Thai vender who makes the tastiest Pad Thai I've ever had, and spring rolls and bbq chicken. You can bring your food down the the tables I mentioned above and hang out there for the night. Its a great spot to meet people. Myself and my girlfriend regularly hung out here and had some great nights. They set up about 8pm and stay open till about 2 or 3 am. Check it out.

#12 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 01:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.