Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phuket to Bangkok by train

• purplecat

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2011

Hi,
    Need some HELP here guys!

I'm planning a 10 days trip to Thailand soon. I've already gotten my flight tickets with my pals to Phuket . We are intending to stay at Phuket for a couple of days then move on to Koh Lanta/ Koh Phi Phi (we haven't decided yet) before heading back to Bangkok for 3,4 days. We really want to take the train from Surat Thani to Bangkok after taking the bus from Phuket down to Surat Thani.

The problem is I know how to purchase the tickets at the Bangkok Railway station, but not from Surat Thani Station. Is there any way for me to purchase it at that station once I arrived from Phuket by bus? Is the train station next to the bus arrival terminal at Surat Thani?
    I don't want to risk missing my train.

I saw a joint package by thailandtraintickets.com consisting of the bus and train tickets but they arrive in Bangkok at 6am! I hope to get the tickets separately then. This will be my last resort.

Thanks mate! Any advise is appreciated.

#1 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 03:07

• Advertisement

• mroku

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

6am is a great time to arrive! you get the possibility to see some of real thai everyday life because most of the tourists are still asleep:) I would take the package also because you wouldn't have to care about tickets once you arrive at Surat Thani.

#2 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 20:21

• miangkem

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

I've bought rail tickets only from thailandtrainticket when it was Traveller2000, maybe make an inquiry and see if it's possible? That might be the easiest.
    This site has pretty good information:
    http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm
    I would try to buy tickets in advance, so you can get the seat you want (second class sleeper is nice and reasonably priced)
    If you are going to Phi Phi or Lanta, I would also consider taking the ferry back to Krabi , and traveling to Surat Thani from Krabi, which is a bit closer. (3 hours instead of 6 hours on the bus) or even Krabi to Trang.

#3 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 21:11

• purplecat

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2011

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help!
    I found out that there is a minivan in Koh Lanta that will drive you up to Trang station, only a 2 hours ride away. I'll probably take the train from Trang to Bangkok then.
    If I reach Bangkok early, i'll be sure to check out their24 hours flower market. Or is there any other recommendations from you guys?

#4 Posted: 5/6/2011 - 17:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.