Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Northern Thailand in July (3 weeks)

• DrNugu

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2011

Is it crazy for a guy traveling solo to spend 3 weeks in North Thailand? I've traveled around Thailand in the past with the wife; been to Samui, Koh Phangnan, Phuket, Koh Samet, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Thai/Cambodia border for Angkor.

Never been north, though. This vacation is kind of a solo escape for me. I'm looking for some outdoor adventure, to make some new friends, enjoy some quiet periods as well as some nightlife. I've been exploring Chiang Mai on the net and it seems wonderful...

...But wonderful enough for three weeks? Should I split things up and go somewhere else as well? If so, where would you recommend?

Cheers.

#1 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 22:13

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

No one's going to be forcing you to stay the full 3 weeks but at least get up to Chiang Mai for a few days and also make sure to get out of the city. Most of the planned tourist activities are centered around trekking, elephants, hilltribes, and adventure sports. If that's not your thing or you've had your fill then maybe rent a bicycle, scooter, or even a jeep (group-up with fellow travellers) and go to the surrounding hills, up to Doi Suthep temple, out to Huay Tung Tao lake, or further to Doi Inthanon N.P. or for a few days out to Chiang Dao, Pai, Soppong, etc. The hills will be lush and green from the warm rains and groovy thunderstorms, but wet stuff tends to fall quick and hard in the evenings. Give it some time and see if the "vibe" hits you.

#2 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 01:04

• DrNugu

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2011

Thanks for the advice Captain. :)

#3 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 06:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel companion for Northern Thailand & Northern/Central Laos in July/August ... By msfrench001 on 21 Jun 2010 0 2738 21 Jun 2010
Travelling Northern Thailand and Laos in June/July ... By mrnice88 on 21 Apr 2010 4 2669 19 May 2012
2 weeks: Bangkok and Northern Thailand ... By hfergu on 21 Mar 2010 8 1907 22 Mar 2010
2 weeks of July in Thailand ... By nikunj on 23 May 2011 7 2689 13 Jun 2011
Thailand for 2 weeks in May/June/July 2013 ... By lisanolan2204 on 10 Aug 2012 5 3687 21 Aug 2012