Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel Question re: Bangkok To Cambodia

• SCaloiaro

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2011

I am hoping for some help in planning my upcoming trip. We will most likely be leaving from Bangkok and really want to go to Ankor Wat, but due to the shorter nature of the trip (3 weeks) I don't want to waste 2 or 3 days to get there, at the same time I am traveling on a budget and don't want to spend $200+ on airline.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get there a) quickly and efficiently, and b) reasonable costs.

We mid 20's and are open to any type of travel: train, bus, plane, ect.

#1 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 01:32

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

This question has been answered on a million posts. A simple web search would suffice.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr.htm

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1939702

http://matadornetwork.com/trips/border-crossing-guide-bangkok-to-siem-reap/

#2 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 10:35

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

To answer you directly; try www.airasia.com it shouldn't cost $200 to fly to Siam Reap. Flying will also avoid any issues with Thai visa. Get the bus back to Bangkok, which also avoids the expensive $30 exit fee, which is done in a day.

#3 Posted: 14/6/2011 - 23:51

• magdaicez

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

I've done this route by train (3rd class seater from BKK for about 60THB:)) to Aranyaprathet six years ago. We took the early morning train ( about 5 am), please check at www.railway.co.th, then tuk-tuk to Poipet. We had e-visa arranged a week before so we did not have to wait at the customs. Rest of the journey was done by taxi arranged from Siem Reps' guesthouse ( I shared cost with friends but it was pretty cheap even if I didn't) It was bumpy and pretty long way to the point! We flew back to Thailand by Arasia.

#4 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 20:42

• kateemily

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011

I havent actually done this trip before (planning on doing it in September) but i found the info below on a website (cant remember where, or i'd post the link!)
    I also found a flight from Bangkok to Cambodia for $75 return, on www.airasia.com. Update us on which route you take

Take a train from Bangkok's main Hualamphong station to Aranyaprathet, which is a few kilometres from the Cambodian frontier. Two reliable trains run daily. To reach Siem Reap or Battambang the same day, take the 05:55 from Bangkok arriving in Aranyaprathet at 11:35. There's also a 13:05 train from Bangkok which arrives in Aranyaprathet at 17:35, but this is too late to move on from the frontier and you will have to spend the night at Poiphet. These trains are 3rd class only (pictured, right), but they are clean, spacious and it's a pleasant and enjoyable ride, clickety clacking along with a breeze blowing through the open window. The fare is only 58 baht (£1 or $1.60).
    · At Aranyaprathet, take a tuk-tuk (about 40-60 baht) or motorcycle (about 50 baht) or wait for the bus (about 10 baht), from the station to the Cambodian border at Poiphet (15km). The border is open 07:00-20:00. Don't get sidetracked into a travel agency, make sure the tuk tuk driver takes you to the official border post to buy your Cambodian visa (or buy an e-visa beforehand). Be careful with your valuables when crossing the border, as there may be pickpockets around.
    · Take a share taxi from Poiphet to Siem Reap. The journey usually takes around 2-3 hours now that the highway has been improved, and it costs about $30/1000 baht for the whole car or $9/300 baht for the front seat, depending on your bargaining powers. There are also buses, some quite basic, from Poiphet to Siem Reap, fare around $3, journey time around 5 hours.

#5 Posted: 29/6/2011 - 14:05

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

AirAsia is a good option, but unfortunately there is no direct fly Bangkok - SiemReap.
    You can fly Bangkok - Pnom Phen then overland to Siem Reap .
    Few years ago I flew to Siem Reap directly from Kuala Lumpur because Angkor Wat was first destination of my trip and ticket from my home city to Bangkok and Kuala had same price :)
    Anyway, even overland trip Bangkok-SiemReap doesn't take 2 or 3 day. As far as I rememeber it takes no more than 14 hours...

#6 Posted: 29/6/2011 - 19:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.