Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2 weeks Volunteering and 1 week backpacking

• Komandoo

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2011

Hi All,

My first post on here.

Ok, so Ive got 3 weeks away from the usual rat race and want to travel and do something different. Thailand has always been on my radar but never got the opportuinity until now to grab that opportunity to travel and experience this country.

I'm looking at going on a 'volunteering' holiday for 2 weeks then plan to travel around a part of Thailand for the remaning week before heading home to the UK.

Just wondering if anyone could suggest an itinerary for my last week that isn't too exhausting but will get me to as many parts of Thailand as possible. Assuming Bangkok to be the base to travel from but to end up back there to fly home. I'm thinking of exploring south of Bangkok. What do you think?

Still planning at the moment but looking at being in Thailand in mid/late sept or Oct this year as an estimate.

Will be travelling alone so would be cool to meet up and make new friends as I go along. Is this easy enough to do?

Any thoughts or ideas, would be great to hear them and thanks for your replies in advance.

#1 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 02:55

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Komandoo ...

If you're going to be volunteering in Bangkok, then I wouldn't stray too far from there if you've only got one week. Especially if you have to be back in the city the day before you fly home. Then you'll only really have 5 days.

You could go to Kanchanaburi and/or Ayuthaya for a few days to get your fill of history, nature, and temples. If you want to go to an island for a couple of days, Koh Samet would probably be your best bet, but avoid weekends.

You could spend the entire time in and around Bangkok, too. There's plenty to see and do ... temples, markets, neighbourhoods, shopping, massages, nightlife, check out the river on the Chao Phraya River Express boat, visit Koh Kret, eating, eating, eating.

For something different and that takes a bit more effort, but is well worth it, there is the Mahachai-Mae Khlong railroad trip that will take you down to (first) Mahachai, and then on to Samut Songkhram. From there you could go to Amphawa and then hop on a bus back to Bangkok. Or make the trip in reverse (bus from Bangkok to Amphawa, then to Samut Songkhram, then back to Bangkok by train after a big seafood lunch in Mahachai). That would be a great 2 or 3 day trip that would give you some train travel, bus travel, songthaew travel, a floating market (in Amphawa), some cool towns that not many people visit, as well as one of the biggest and best seafood markets in the country.

Weather may play a strong part in the direction you decide to take. It can be quite wet around there at that time of the year.

Enjoy.

#2 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 05:07

• Komandoo

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2011

Hi Tilapia,

Thanks for your reply. That has given me some great ideas to work with. Sounds like you have been to Thailand once or twice yourself lol!!!!

Would welcome any additional ideas or advice so any replies would be greatfully received.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 5/6/2011 - 02:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You could go to Pattaya and get drunk and chase hookers for three weeks...

#4 Posted: 5/6/2011 - 03:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Budget for 6 weeks Backpacking and 2 weeks Luxury ... By martin1989 on 15 Dec 2009 0 3730 15 Dec 2009
Backpacking 2 week south itinerary? ... By helmo645 on 6 May 2012 3 2661 7 May 2012