Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time S.E Asia trip! Visa help and general advice please :)

• shazamuk

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2011

Hey guys,
    Im planning my first trip with my girlfriend round South East Asia for 4months in September. Our proposed itinerary goes something like this....

Arrive in Bangkok, travel up through Thailand for a few weeks eventually arriving at Chiang Khong, cross over into Laos and make our way down crossing into Vietnam then to Cambodia (All in all spending 6weeks or so in the surrounding countries to Thailand) Then fly back into bangkok from Cambodia to spend 2months in the islands and places that i love.
    What do you think about the itinerary?

Also, Im unsure of what is the best way to go about Visas when in Thailand as I'll be there for 2 seperate occasions? Im planning to stick to the well trodden backpacker route as much as possible as its my first time travelling.

Any help would be much appreciated

#1 Posted: 6/6/2011 - 00:13

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

Your itinerary is not at all specific, but generally speaking it sounds fine for 4 months. If you want specific advice on how to get to/from specific places then you'll need to be, well, more specific... "make our way down crossing into Vietnam then to Cambodia" could mean a lot of different things.

As for Thailand, you get 30 days visa free when you fly into the country, 15 days free if you enter over land. If you'll be there twice but both times for less than 30 days (assuming you fly in the second time) then you don't need to arrange any visas. If you'll be there on any occasion for longer than 30 days (or longer than 15 if arriving by land) then you'll need to get a tourist visa specifically for that occasion, which is good for 3 months but void once you leave the country, unless you get a multiple entry visa. If you need a visa only for when you re-enter Thailand you could pick it up at the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh relatively easy (it would take a day or two). If you need one before you leave home you'll have to arrange for it in your home country by mailing your passport or bringing it in person to the Thai consulate there, or to a visa service.

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 6/6/2011 - 02:12

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/september

Make sure you pay attention to the weather in SE Asia. you should be OK. Late Nov to December is good for the islands.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2011 - 15:28

• ThailandDia-
    ries

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand

Most people we have met regretted spending too much time in neighboring countries and not long enough in Thailand and I agree- Thailand is simply the best!! And its all so different, so I think you are making the right choice here!

#4 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 17:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Some general advice for 1-2 week trip ... By galois on 29 Apr 2012 4 1458 2 May 2012
SEA 3-month trip: general + specific (+any other type of) advice, please ... By Brecht on 7 Feb 2011 6 2990 12 Feb 2011
first time travel 6week trip,need advice!! :) ... By Tinasomers123 on 14 Sep 2013 2 928 16 Sep 2013
Travelling SE Asia Solo (first time traveler) advice please :) ... By chris9393 on 17 Apr 2014 41 1906 25 Apr 2014
First time solo traveler off to SE Asia for 3 months next month, would appreciate some advice. ... By NFT_Terrorist on 13 May 2014 12 1235 16 May 2014
First time in South East Asia, itinerary for 3 weeks! Any advice greatly appreciated! ... By Pixa2012 on 14 Jan 2012 7 15668 12 Feb 2012
Advice needed on SE Asia trip ... By Decoy on 8 Aug 2012 6 2361 6 Feb 2013
Friendly 1st-time advice sought for 3 month trip to Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia & Viet Nam ... By bobby_gigi on 18 Apr 2011 7 5195 21 Apr 2011
3 weeks SE Asia Trip in August 2013: Advice, Help! ... By libbyeab on 6 Feb 2013 1 2125 8 Feb 2013
5 Month SEA General Itinerary Advice ... By TravelMoo on 3 Jul 2014 8 1173 25 Sep 2014