Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Is KT Guesthouse TOO far?

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

This will be our first time in Bangkok and therefore we will want to see all of the tourist sights, but we really like the sound of the KT guesthouse because we love having a swim in the heat, and we like to be somewhere that is quiet at night time. Lots of people have recommended KT guesthouse but many have said that first time visitors should stay on Khao San Rd...

Exactly how far is KT Guesthouse from all the action, and is it too far to get to anything without a taxi e.g. at night time? Or does public transport go everywhere?

#1 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 02:10

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

KT is not really close to anything of interest other than some excellent day and night markets. It's not far from the subway, and it's a short cab ride from the Samsen railway station. By cab it's about a 40 minute trip down to Banglamphoo (Koh Rattanakosin ... old Bangkok ... with the classic temples and great markets). In my opinion, too far for someone just being introduced to the city.

I love KT and have stayed there several times over the years. The rooms are quite good, the prices are great, there's a pool, and there's a coffee guy about 50m from the front gate who has a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine and does superb coffee. Nights, as you say, are quiet. It's a favourite for working ex-pats and old school backpackers who have moved up a notch. But as much as I love the place, I think that for someone going to Bangkok for the first time there are better areas to stay in, especially Samsen and Banglamphu Districts.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to stay there, because it's not. It provides for a very soft landing into the city. The neighbourhood is very good, as Exacto has mentioned many times, and the nearby markets are excellent. But if it's your first time to Bangkok, I think that you'd probably enjoy yourself more if you were within sight, or at least within walking distance of most of the main tourist attractions and the river. There are plenty of spots around these two districts that are quiet at night. Being close to KSR doesn't mean 24 hour mayhem. It's quite contained.

#2 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 08:59

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Thankyou for the reply, I think you're probably right and we should stay somewhere closer... can you recommend any hotels nearer KSR?

#3 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 21:38

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

There are hundreds to choose from.

I stayed at the Shanti Lodge last time I was there. Despite some bad feedback on TripAdvisor with regards to the attitudes of the workers there, and I found the place and the people running it to be fantastic. The location is excellent, in my opinion. You can reserve online without using a credit card. I haven't gotten around to writing up my review on the place for TF, but I will shortly.

If you want a pool, and don't mind paying a bit more, you can try the Royal Hotel over near Sanam Luang. It's pretty funky ... art deco-ish.

On the river, on Thanon Phra Athit (a great area) are Navalai and New Siam Riverside. Both have pools and river view rooms. Never stayed at either of these, but I've been inside to check out the rooms. Nice. Lots of excellent eating places in the immediate area, as well as a water taxi pier.

Plenty of no frills, inexpensive places in the area.

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 22:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.